The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any "Heads Up" would be appreciated

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by asuservice, Dec 1, 2001.

1. asuservice

asuservice Well-Known Member

First, I should apologize if this is off topic or newbie type questions. I\'ve only had CPanel a couple weeks and I AM NOT a Unix Admin. :D I do have access to an Admin who\'s very good but very old school and not into control panels at all!

When I ordered CPanel/WHM it was to go onto a production server and we all know that a clean box is required so my provider let me have two boxes and I have been moving the sites over a few at a time.

This process is completed and I\'m letting everything run for a few days to be sure it\'s good to go. My nameservers and the secure server is still residing on the temp. box. I am shooting for Tuesday to move them.

I wondered if anyone is aware of things I should know about or ways to make this smooth and painless. I know my admin will want to drop these in from the command line but I don\'t know if WHM will just pick them up and run with it or what.

Also, in the WHM Setup I have a generic Hostname that I would like to change. Under that setting it says \"This is the current hostname of this server. (The value of this attribute cannot be modified).\" Is this a hardline? I can\'t think of any reason this can\'t be modified but I\'m an idiot regarding this issue.

That\'s it for now but I\'m sure question will come up from your replies and I\'ll think of something else. Please bear with my ignorance.

Thanks In Advance!

Mike

[Edited on 12/1/01 by asuservice]

2. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

Hi Mike,

One excellent thread that will introduce to all (or most) of the vital configuration places/files on your CPanel box, as well as some tips on \"moving people\" is this one:

http://support.cpanel.net/new/viewthread.php?tid=2 .....

You probably are coming from an environment that has a completely different controlpanel or none at all, but that thread will help introduce many of the vitals of the cpanel services so you can compare them to the previous machines and get things in sync as best as possible.

Changing the hostname on a cpanel box that has an active license will cause your box to go out of sync w/ the cpanel licensing server ... though this can be corrected as long as your BASE IP doesn\'t change. If you find you are getting an invalid license after you do this, go into /usr/local/cpanel and remove the \"cpanel\" base program (NOTHING MORE)... it\'s a small file... and then run /scripts/upcp, and finally go back into /usr/local/cpanel and run ./cpkeyctl , you should be golden AGAIN IF YOUR BASE IP DIDN\'T CHANGE.

If other insane problems arise you\'ll need to contact whomever provides your cpanel licensing, etc.

There are other decent threads on this forum, and throughout the web on integrating from a non-cpanel environment into one, it\'s up to you to find the ones that most closely mesh w/ your situation.

WORD. Can you tell I\'m bored today?
    Just cleansing the household.

Iowa is an exciting place.
    Hahah.

Travis ;)

3. asuservice

Hi Travis,
    Thanks for the tip ... I notice that the thread seems to apply mainly to cpanel to cpanel move.

You are correct this is going from a Slackware/Webmin machine to a CPanel/WHM set up.

All the sites are on the new machine and I\'m still running the DNS, nameservers, a secure server and the \"main\" .com domain associated with those on the old box. To clarify www.mydomain.com, ns.mydomain.com, ns2.mydomain.com and secure.mydomain.com are all on the temp machine, everything else has been moved and working fine with new IP\'s

Of course I can assign new IP\'s and transfer www & secure ... no biggie. But, that isn\'t an option for ns & ns2. The more I think about it I think it might just be easier to face a bit of downtime and bring it down on the temp box then install it on the CPanel machine.

Actually the hostname I want to change to is the mydomain.com so that seems it would fall right in as I\'ll be keeping the assigned base IP.

Yep, the more I think about it the more I think that\'ll be the way to go.

I\'ll have a look around the other places you recommended.

Thanks agian & BTW, I can relate to the whole Iowa thing ... I\'m in Flippin\' Idaho!!!! :P

Mike

4. asuservice

Life is Good! :D

It went in so easy that I was sweating it for two hours wondering what the hell I did wrong.

In case anyone in the future is faced with transfering from an no CP system to Cpanel just follow the tips found in this forum. This was the only resource I used.

Have a Good One!

Mike

5. bobmac

bobmac Registered

Invalid license due to server name change

I am trying to use your tip on fixing the server name out of sync condition.

I have Cpanel on a redhat 7.2 machine, I don't have a small cpanel program in the directory you indicate on the post, it is 3.5 Mb, can you be more specific on the name and location.

Thanks

Bob
    bobmck@carolina.rr.com