The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any ideas?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brian Farkas, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Brian Farkas

Brian Farkas Well-Known Member

Hello, after we upgraded the kernel on our machine to 2.4.16, one of our clients has been having problems with some of his compiled scripts - they just seemed to have stopped working for no apparent reason.

We had him compile under the new kernel, and that did not work. He thought it might be a problem with apache, so we rebuilt that - still no dice. He also said:
    I kind of believe that the problem may have to do with allocating shared
    memory (which my database does). I am suspect of this because at times during my development, in the past, the debugger has caused the DB code to hang at the shmem()request.

so we were thinking it might be a problem with the kernel... but he tested his scripts on another server running the same kernel and it worked fine.

Just wondering if anyone else had encountered something like this before, or if you can think of anything else that might be causing these problems.

2. Brian Farkas

Maybe some additional information would be helpful?

The programs are able to be started via the command line, but not via the web browser. However, immediately after they\'re started via the command line, they hang up. Doing a ps -aef shows a run time of 00:00. In fact, I just found a process from December 8 that is displaying a run time of 00:00.

From the script author (client):
    The programs do start, but they seem to hang early on, so they do not appear to have gotten any CPU time. I do the open DB call early, and it has the shmem() call, so that is another indication that it may be the cause (or something else the DB open is trying to do). Remember some system calls pend the program until the resource is available (so it could be a file read also).
    ---

As I said, we\'ve tried having him re-compile under the new kernel, as well as rebuilt apache (through the buildapache.sea on layer1). We are figuring that it is unlikely to be a problem with the kernel installation, because if it were we would probably be experiencing more issues than just this client\'s scripts not working. Again, thank you in advance for any assitance you might be able to provide.

Brian

[Edited on 12/11/01 by Brian Farkas]

3. Brian Farkas

Well, we did get a temporary solution. I had the client move his scripts to the /scgi-bin and they actually worked there, but continue not to work outside of that directory. I know the scgi-bin runs the scripts as his username, but he has always had the scripts run as nobody before. I\'ve played around on the ownership and permissions of his files outside the scgi-bin and am still unable to get it to work... The scgi-bin is a good temporary solution, but moving the scripts there permanently would mean a complete rewrite of his code as well as clients having to update all their bookmarks, which he wants to avoid if possible.

Anyway, if any one has ideas regarding making the scripts work outside of the /scgi-bin, they would be appreciated.