The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any MAJOR cPanel / Redhat problems currently?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by albaby, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. albaby

albaby Member

Im a customer of www.matrixreseller.com. They are forcing all cPanel Redhat customers on their weird windows HSphere deal. This is pissing off many many hundreds of dedicated cPanel customers like me.

They claim they are dumping cpanel (they killed their cPanel webpage offering a week ago) and taking no more orders for it. Due to what they say are MAJOR MAJOR security issues with Redhat and cPanel.
    See their POSTS:
    http://forum.vortechhosting.com/showthread.php?t=9602

Ive only been with them 3 months and have have pretty bad service in terms of websites being down an inordinate amount of time each month, this month some of my sites are down +3 hours already and its only the 18th. One site 17 hours, a few others + 5 hours.

NOTE: They do have good service response in terms of email rewsponse times, Im not knocking that at all.

Anyone verify that cPanel and Redhat server combo are a HUGE security problem and cause major headaches for Hosts? Hundreds customers are being forced into the HELL of changing servers or leaving matrixreseller.com due to this... and the major Time Loss that entails.

Thanks much!

Al

2. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Nothing that would be classified as major. Most issues that arise are more minor or quirks or simple opps issues that are generally fixed fairly quickly.

I am not saying cPanel is perfect, it has issues like any software including hsphere and all. It sounds more like they do not have the proper skill sets to be using *nix based systems. If there were issues that drastic cPanel and Redhat would not be around.

I think they are more MS happy and hence are using any excuse to cover up their lack of experience with linux.

They are more than welcome to come and discuss what issues they are having and to get support if required.

3. albaby

albaby Member

Thanks David, they apperar to be GUNG HO about the move, there is no talk at all about any good surrounding cPanel at all.

4. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

I agree with David...Total lack of experiance here. Note they suggest it's Red Hat and Bind more than once and they continue to blame cpanel. However, they do not discuss what the problem is. Sounds like they did not patch the third party exploits in time. Just my two cents worth. :cool:

5. albaby

albaby Member

I forgot what Url I saw it at on their forums, but in one post they say specifically that Cpanel.net DOESNT inform them of security issues fast enough.

6. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    In all fairness they have to take some responsibility. cPanel is NOT "do everything for you" product. It's purpose is for client management. They do provide other services along with that but it is the server owners responsibilty to ensure they keep up on things.

Anyway, it makes no difference why, they obviously have made up their minds. It's unfortunate that it's causing issues for their clients but in the end that is their issue to deal with.

I will finish by saying this, if cPanel were that bad of product it would not be one of the top software programs used by hosting companies.

7. digitard

digitard Well-Known Member

I've got a server from serverbeach.com and its running Redhat 9 and Cpanel and its great. I keep my system updated every week and have APF running in the background.

My guess is they got some license deal and need an excuse to dump something to get it.

#7 digitard, Mar 18, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  8. haze

haze Well-Known Member

That's just totally, unimaginable how they've come right out and said that without any sort of explanation. My feelings are just as the others in this thread. Due to their own incompetence, they're inconveniencing their clients. If they're making such a serious shift in business, they should at least explain in a more detail why they feel they need to do so. Especially when it effect clients in such a way. Oh well, its their prerogative.

A server is just as secure as you make it. Sure, linux isn't perfect, but name one OS that is?

9. Myacen

Myacen Well-Known Member

Sounds like bullshit to me.

10. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

Strange decision to migrate all the cPanel customers over to Hsphere, I expect that their helpdesk will be busy over the next few months.
    If anything, hsphere are slower with security updates than cPanel are when it comes to it and running hsphere clusters is more reliant on the hsphere packages than cPanel is reliant on most applications.
    It seems the support for hspehere has also taken a turn for the worse since commodo bought hsphere - Not that I want to get into control panel politics, but this decision is all definitely French to me.

11. LP-Trel

LP-Trel Well-Known Member

I couldn't have said it better.

12. haze

haze Well-Known Member

What boggles me is that these people are making very serious claims against 2 very well known products. The words being thrown around by the representative are rather slanderous at the very least and he's provided absolutely no proof of their claims.

I mean fine, if you'd rather switch control panel's and streamline your business that way, go for it, its your deal. Slagging off other's with reasons such as they have, in such a harsh fashion, is not a route I would have taken to initiate such a migration, not that that even matters I suppose.

13. bocosoft

bocosoft Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Imo

I was affected by their change of politics too :(

Thay decided to drop cPanel and focus on H-Sphere (btw it's not just MS, it FreeBSD too). I am happy with their H-Sphere support and everything.

I am switching some accounts to their H-Sphere and I will be switching most to other cPanel provider.

No CP is perfect. In some way H-Sphere is better then cPanel, but in other ways cPanel is better... especially if you have clients that are used to cPanel. Making the switch to H-Sphere would require a lot of re-coding, so it is out of the question for any PHP/DB orientated site.

For them, this is marketing/strategy move for which they "blame" cpanel/Redhat.
    I don't buy that :D

I respect their decision, but it would be hard to respet the way thay do it.

14. Roy@ENHOST

Roy@ENHOST Well-Known Member

Tell me about it.
    Even Google is running under Red Hat.

Their staff are just not competent enough to manage servers.

15. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

Looks that way, they are blaming cpanel for another server being hacked today. Sounds more and more a lack of security on their part. Note, that they do not tell the user what was hacked at all. The could at least post what part of cpanel has been exploited (doutfull)... IMOP...They are just making excuses.

http://forum.vortechhosting.com/showthread.php?t=9602&page=6&pp=15 :rolleyes:

Al, I suggest finding another cpanel host, as you can see from others in this thread....no one else is complaning about Red Hat and Cpanel...Time to shop around as it is the lack of patching known holes in the OS, Kernel, or third party software (not Cpanel) on your host part as it seems they will not tell anyone how cpanel is the problem...Did you ask them how they can claim it is a Cpanel exploit?

#15 easyhoster1, Mar 19, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  16. haze

haze Well-Known Member

It just keeps getting better!

A quote from the forum from the "admin":
    "Yes this box was fully up to date on Redhat 9 and CPanel, so there was not much else we could have done to prevent this and was outside of our control."

Redhat 9!! HELLO!! PEOPLE!! This OS is NO LONGER SUPPORTED!! No bloody wonder they're getting owned. I'm sure whomever is responsible is having a blast, they're absolutely begging for trouble.

17. FWC

FWC Well-Known Member

It really is quite amusing. :)

18. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

What's more amazing is that these people have as many clients as they do and have keeped them. One can only wonder what excuse they give clients for other things they cannot figure out for themselves. I truely feel sorry for the clients as they actually think this is a good company and will propbably get screwed time and gain without even knowing it.

19. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

What a bizarre thread (there not here). I'm astounded by the complete and utter lack of the truth in their claims. For cPanel it's probably less than an itch on a flea on the backside of a dog, but they'd be well within their rights to have certain words with the company.

Their claims are complete and utter rot. As many of the posters have already said, RedHat as an OS and cPanel as a web hosting management package are no more or less secure than anything else in the market. Security starts with the server administrator and ends with the user and so long as you're vigilant and look after your box (and users look after their accounts) you'll be prepared for times when you inevitably suffer problems - which through your own actions should be few and far between. No software combination is "safe" and you should be in a position to deal with any inevitable hacks should they happen. However, the claims they are making are just nonsense and show either a complete lack of understanding, or a deliberate attempt to fool their customers (or both I guess).

20. albaby

albaby Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.