The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any programs out there (paid or OpnScr) backing up cpanel/whm to local desktop?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Fiberoptck, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Fiberoptck

Fiberoptck Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am trying to do this without having to purchase a separate VPS for backups. I was wondering if there is a application that allows me to connect to my cPanel/WHM server and performs a backup that is saved to my local machine. paid or free is good but I am just not sure if there is something out there I could use I just need to have a solution for backups. I thought about OpenVPN but it has been not recommended to run openvpn on my server becuase of the security issues and apprently how my customers would view that choice.

2. Jeff Shotnik

Jeff Shotnik Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The service I'm creating will include that feature, but it won't be ready for a few months. Since you have root access you can download a backup over http via cpanel > backups. You also have access to the cpanel backup feature in whm which can backup to an ftp location, remote folder, etc. Regarding openvpn, how would it help you with backups?

3. Greenhost

Greenhost Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  4. Mango45

Mango45 Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What operating system does your local machine run? If Windows, you can write scripts for WinSCP that downloads files from a Linux server.

If your local machine runs Linux, or if you have a Linux-based NAS such as a Western Digital MyBook Live, then there are a myriad of tools you can use - such as rsync.