Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Any reason not to disable /cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi entirely ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kitchin, Nov 27, 2013.

1. kitchin

kitchin Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, I have the same caching issue as everyone else. I saw the suggestion in http://forums.cpanel.net/f402/fix-defaultwebpage-redirection-caching-280082.html to add <meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache" /> to /usr/local/apache/htdocs/index.html . It's by default a 3-line html file, with this:
    Code:
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="0;URL=/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi">
    Any reason not to completely replace index.html with a page that does *not* redirect ?

Is it used for anything else I'm not thinking of ? I want my /cpanel/ and /webmail/ links to keep working for example, but seems they would be unaffected. Anything else?

Google and forum search results are overwhelmed by the typical problem with it, so I had a hard time searching for an answer to this question.

2. InterServed

InterServed Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Personally i would opt for no index/redirect file at all but add disabled directory index.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The recommended method of modifying the default website page is by using:

"WHM Home » Account Functions » Web Template Editor"

Is there a specific problem the redirect is causing for you?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kitchin

kitchin Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    InterServed, I'm not sure now to do that. I do have root in one WHM account, but the other one is a reseller. It sounds like the best solution for the one with root, if I can figure it out.

Michael, it's very sticky in the browser cache, especially Firefox. The problem is the browser caches the redirect, so you cannot even use a hard refresh (control-F5). That just refreshes the cgi-sys page, not the page you requested. And if you put the requested url back in the browser address bar, it autocompletes to the cgi-sys page. So the only fix is to empty the browser cache, which is 1. slow, 2. not something we want our users to have to do. Both Firefox & Chrome have made emptying the cache a more obscure function.

I cannot think of any use for the cgi-sys redirect except to help the web developer or administrator diagnose a DNS/mapping problem. They should be able to do that with other tools. It doesn't belong in the front-end, IMHO. It's hostile to regular users.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You may want to consider opening a feature request to have the default website page revamped:

Submit A Feature Request

Our developers monitor the feature requests and submitting one allows other users to vote and add input.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...