Any tips on getting over 5000 concurrent apache connections?

WebHostPro

PartnerNOC
Jul 28, 2002
LA, Costa RIca
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
I have a new client that needs about 10000 concurrent download connections on a server but only for a couple days.

Anyone have any tips or ideas on how to tweak a server to handle this amount of connections to apache?

Obviously just setting the apache concurrent max connections to 5000 is not going to cover it.

Thanks!

chuza

Jul 4, 2008
I have a new client that needs about 10000 concurrent download connections on a server but only for a couple days.

Anyone have any tips or ideas on how to tweak a server to handle this amount of connections to apache?

Obviously just setting the apache concurrent max connections to 5000 is not going to cover it.

Thanks!
I believe it is not achievable realistically without taking the server down (or apparently at least because of because of being too busy) unless you have a huge server with tonnes of RAM and connected directly to a Gigabit connection and also assuming that the 10k connections are going to just download a simple html file saying "Hello" and no MySQL involved obviously. :-D

BianchiDude

PartnerNOC
Jul 2, 2005
Load balance it across multiple servers, and lite speed would probably work better than apache for that:
Home