The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any way to do this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jammer2020, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Jammer2020

Jammer2020 Member

We have are trying to install Cpanel on a machine that was setup and partitioned originally for Plesk. Here is our partition info :

/ - 1024 Megs
    /boot - 30 Megs
    /var - 2048 Megs
    /home - 1024 Megs
    Swap - 1024 Megs
    /usr/local - remaining disk space

I know in the Cpanel install docs it says to grow home to the remaining disk space is there anyway to symlink this so it uses /usr/local instead, so we dont have to pay for a O/S reinstall? Or if you have any other way of doing this any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. MrHits

MrHits Well-Known Member

Personally, based on those partition sizes, I would personally do a new OS install and have the var and usr partitions increased.

I previously made /var and /usr 5 gigs each, and even now, that is not enough, I had to make them 10 gigs each. why? because user domains logs files are written to /usr/local/apache/domlogs and can become quite large, even when rotated on a monthly basis. Mysql is on /var/lib/myql (var partiion). And again, this can grow quite large depending on the amount of clients you are hosting. Not to mention the system logs are written to /var/log

In any event if you want to just move home to your /usr/local direcotry you would have to change your fstab to mount home to a new directory. and then create a sim link. i'd do this:

mkdir /usr/local/home
    cd /
    mv home home2
    ln -s /usr/local/home /home

vi /etc/vfstab
    change the mount form home to home2

and reboot.. (if you dont know what you are doing in fstab, I suggest you don't mess with it) otherwise, you will end up with a dead box.

3. Jammer2020

Jammer2020 Member

Thanks for the pointers. I will give it a shot. The worse thing that could happen is I would have to pay for an O/S install. Thanks again!

4. dzevad

dzevad Well-Known Member

Is making a whole disk just one root / partition a bad idea for Cpanel? And if it is why? In that case loss of unused space on some partition wouldn't exist.