The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody have the patience to help a newbie?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dolemite50, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Dolemite50

Dolemite50 Registered

Hi,

I've been using CPanel as a member on a shared host without the slightest problem up until about two months ago, and now I'm having major email trouble. Our server was upgraded to PHP5 right about the same time I had formatted my drive, and somewhere in that commotion I ran into problems trying to get Outlook re-installed and connect to my outbound smtp server. It failed connecting to "mail.mydomain.com", although the Auto-confgure reg keys listed it as both in and outbound. I went through several articles on this board trying to resolve the problem which led to me trying various configurations of SpamAssassin, BoxTrapper, and Spam Box, and then somewhere along the line it showed a test email's path was actually using our shared-host provider's outbound smtp server. Setting Outlook to use that server instead and then checking "requires authentication" got my email up and running again through Outlook.

However, I am still unable to send mail outside of my domain using PHP. I can send to me@mydomain.com fine, and PHP will claim messages are sent to others OK, but it never reaches me@anyotherdomain. I've read about examining exim.conf for clues but am unable to find it on my server. I know that I have an insecure contact form on the site that needs dealing with, is it possible that a spammer has used it to somehow hi-jack my outbound smtp server completely? :confused:

I know that this is the type of thing that I should be bothering my host with, but to make a long story short,..that's much harder than it sounds. I don't have direct access to php.ini or WHM, but am able to access my entire domain using FTP and CPanel. I'm just wondering if there are any local settings that I might have missed or toggled in Cpanel which could trigger this to happen, or if the issue could possibly be resolved by using php's ini_set to override global email settings.

If it helps,..phpinfo says:
    sendmail_from no value no value
    sendmail_path /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i
    SMTP localhost localhost
    smtp_port 25 25

..and I now have all CPanel Spam-fighters disabled for testing.

Thanks a lot for any assistance on the matter.

P.S. Is WHM typically installed alongside Cpanel for member access on a shared host or is it more a toy reserved for admins? I'm jealous, it sounds like an excellent program.

BTW, I also checked to make sure that neither my domain or the host's has been blacklisted.

#1 Dolemite50, Jan 18, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  2. Kelmas

Kelmas Well-Known Member

Might be that your system's sendmail is not linked with Exim. I suggest you to open a ticket at https://tickets.cpanel.net and ask for help.

WHM is made for server admin and resellers. It is not intended for regular clients - they got cPanel.

3. Dolemite50

Dolemite50 Registered

Thank you, Kelmas!

I'm afraid of getting ticket-happy at this point because for all I know I may already have access to the Exim files. Is there a default method for locating exim.conf or checking to see if Exim is enabled using either FTP or CPanel X? I couldn't find a way to activate it in the standard CPanel menus so I'm assuming that it's done with the elusive WHM tool.

Thanks again. :)

4. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Don't follow that ridiculous suggestion of opening a ticket at tickets.cpanel.net - that's only for hosts themselves, and the person suggesting it should know better.

Unfortunately with what you've given us, it's hard to work out why email's not going to other users. How are you sending email - with the PHP mail() function? Have you checked in your script directory for the existence of an error_log file? It sounds like a symptom of SMTP Auth not being used, except that the email is going through the sendmail interface - or is it?

It may also help to run a 'tail -f /var/log/exim_mainlog' if you are able, as that will tell you why it's failing. It actually could be any of a number of causes, and if your host won't help you perhaps you should consider shifting to a host that will - after all, you're paying them for a service which you aren't able to use which just doesn't make sense! :)