The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody tried installing phpsuexec? Good or bad?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cragdo, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cragdo

cragdo Member

Has anyone with WHM tried installing phpsuexec?

Tell me if you like it or not. Is it worth it? Thanks.

2. PvUtrix

PvUtrix Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have it installed, for increased security...
    No problems so far...

3. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

I reckon lots of people have phpsuexec enabled. Ok, make that lots and lots of people.

I have it enabled and haven't run into a single problem caused by it. You'll undoubtedly encounter some issues as a result of phpsuexec, but not due to it but due to users not being aware of how to work with it.

The three most common issues you would need to address are:

1. Script permissions. PHP scripts won't execute if they or the directories they are in have XXX7 permissions. 0755 is the maximum you can have.

2. PHP scripts won't work if uploaded in BINARY mode. The have to be uploaded in ASCII mode.

3. PHP-specific variables set in .htaccess files will no longer work. This is because PHP no longer runs as an Apache module and so Apache has no idea what on earth to do with them. The relevant settings have to be copied into a local php.ini file.

None of these above three points ever cause me any problems. The first two occur are the most frequently occuring and are almost always due to the user not being aware of the requirements.

With the .htaccess concerns aside, all you have to remember is that, once phpsuexec is enabled, PHP scripts follow the same rules as CGI scripts.

4. DavidR

DavidR Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that development on phpsuexec was stopped some time ago. I have no experience with it other than the warnings on some of my scripts about compatibility issues (mostly concerning 777 permissions I think). Wasn't suPHP supposed to replace it? Is phpsuexec still considered current? Now I'm curious :p.

David

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Please do a search on the forums before posting, it has been discussed in great deal many times.

phpsuexec development was restarted around a year ago, it's all in the forums here :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.