The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone had all zones mysteriously removed on cPanel dns only?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by MediaServe, Jun 5, 2015.

1. MediaServe

MediaServe Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Had a case this morning where our dns servers had *all* zones removed. We're running cPanel dns only. I see no evidence (yet) of tampering, and /var/log/messages shows a bunch of these entries:

Jun 5 11:39:30 D043B7C9 named[21625]: zone abc.xyz/IN/internal: (master) removed

Every last zone was gone. It was relatively easy to re-sync everything but I wonder if anyone else has seen anything like this?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Were the zones only removed from the DNS-Only server, or were they also removed from the hosting servers syncing their zones to the DNS-Only server?

Thank you.

3. MediaServe

MediaServe Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Only the zones on our 2 cPanel dns only servers were deleted (and every last one of them!). Zones on all the full cPanel servers were untouched. Each server is in a dns cluster as write-only to the two dns servers, and then the two dns servers sync between themselves as well.

I have a script that grabs all the currently hosted domains per server and does a dnscluster synczone on each of them, which I used to quickly resolve the problem.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Feel free to open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look. You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.