The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone had this problem w/NS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kikky, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Kikky

Kikky Active Member

Hi peeps. I'm just wondering if anyone's having this problem, or has resolved it in the past. Basically, i need to reboot the whole server for the NS to actually respond to new domain DNS requests. Here's an example to I'm clear on what's exactly happening.

Step 1 - I register a domain and point it to my 2 NS's which are setup on my box

Step 2 - I add the account - that's setup fine - with the DNS records added correctly..

Step 3 - Even once the domain has fully propogated, the server will not respond to requests on that particular domain.. so as a work around, i've been rebooting the whole box everytime i add a new domain - which seems to give it a kick up the ass and get it responding to the new Zone.

Does anyone have any idea on what's causing this? I thought that as soon as i've added the account, the DNS zone is created, and then as soon as the new domain has resolved to the server, cPanel should respond to the requests without me having to kick it up the ass with a reboot everytime.

Is there any script which needs rebooting? A service which i can reboot instead of having to reboot the whole box? Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

Go into WHM "edit dsn zone" look at top boxes. Do you see a "for" up there? if you do ..delete that and then the domain to the right. save .. check with dig domain.com from root. This issue just cost me 9 hours of downtime on a server move :(

3. Kikky

Kikky Active Member

The only zones that are in there are my domains plus the default:

mail
    localhost.zone

Anyone else got any ideas? :p

4. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

eidt one of you domains to see what it looks like. Make sure you don't have that "for" screwed up in the top of that zone.

5. Kikky

Kikky Active Member

The only 'for' i can see at the top is the text just above the records:

; Modified by Web Host Manager

; Zone File for infid.com

It's the same for all of the zones, too. The zone would respond for me, it just means that the server needs a reboot for it to start answering queries on that newly added Zone ( and yes, the DNS has propogated already )

6. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

FIX those zones .. make sure that "for" isn't in a form box on that edit form!!!

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18070

7. Kikky

Kikky Active Member

rpmws, thanks for your help, but I'm not having the problem which you're describing. All of the records within the zones are correct, and there's no 'for' text within a record or anything. This is something else from the looks of things.

8. RaveKnights

RaveKnights Well-Known Member

You can always restart Bind inside your WHM

9. Kikky

Kikky Active Member

I've already tried that, and that doesn't seem to work for it. :( It seems to need a full sys-reboot to worky.