The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know how many email accounts cPanel can handle?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by mroche, Nov 6, 2004.

1. mroche

mroche Member

Hi,

Just looking for some input on a project I am working on. I have a server- 2.5G CPU, 1MB Ram, Linux Redhat, Apache, Cpanel etc... I am dedicating the entire server to a community enviroment with approx. 1000 users. Each user wants their own POP3/webmail box and each one will be tied to only "One" domain running on the box. Additionally, some of these users may want to have some personal space for a webpage as well.
    So, there will be only one main domain/website running, with several hundred add on/sub domains, and up to 1000 POP/webmail email boxes... Any ideas on limitations I might run into with this setup? Any input would be appreciated. :)

Thank you in advance..

2. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

I don't believe that cpanel is necessarily the limiting factor... it's using common server programs that should scale well... so the limiting factor is mainly your server hardware and, to a lesser extent, your available bandwidth.

3. mroche

mroche Member

Additional project info...

Thanks for the reply DezignGuy, thats what I thought(Needed a sanity check)

Additional info::
    the server has 1000GB bandwidth. Runs the typical apache modules, Mail Server (Exim)
    DNS/Name Server (BIND)
    FTP Server (ProFTPd)
    SQL Server (MySQL)
    SSH Server (OpenSSH)
    HTTP/Web Server (Apache)
    POP3 Server (cppop)
    IMAP Server (uwimap)..

We have experience with this setup on another server with only 512MB ram on a 1.2G Celeron, currently running just over 100 domains with an average of 3 emails per domain and it runs like a champ. The difference is this new server will be accessed via 1000 email users daily growing to a projected user base of nearly 3000, so the sales guys say.. :cool:

Anyway, just wanted to know if anyone has had any First Hand experience with actually running a large number of email accounts (over 1000+ email accounts) on a similar setup?..

Thanks again. :)

#3 mroche, Nov 6, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  4. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

1000 email users shouldn't be too much... I should think that even 3,000 users would work fine on a modern server.

However it does depend on how actively your users use their email and how much they send and receive. Large emails with attachments could considerably slow down your system down... especially if you do any sort of virus/spam scanning.

It also depends on how much other work the server will do... if it's solely for email, i should think that would be fine... but then if you have some highly requested php and mysql pages, like a very busy forum... then it'll likely start bogging down as you overload it.

My point is basically that there are too many factors to just give you a hard and fast rule... you're probably going to have to get a decent server and see how it holds up, and then upgrade if you have to.

#4 dezignguy, Nov 14, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2004