The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know the bad or good of WinSCP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dianaward, Apr 9, 2003.

1. dianaward

dianaward Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    http://winscp.vse.cz/eng/about.php

I tried it and it looks good, does what I wanted it to do. And it's free. But I wondered if there are security issues I should know about, since I haven't heard of it before. Have any of you used it? Do you know of any security issues? I didn't find any in my web search, and PCMag gave it a good review.

If it's okay, it sure seems like an easy way to move/backup files. I can easily copy the backup dirs of my servers to the backup drives of another using my own computer as a temp directory. (I keep few accounts per server, as they are heavy mailers.) for extra backup security. And it made it very easy to rescue the databases off a server that was going down with failing memory and hence wouldn't respond properly.

#1 dianaward, Apr 9, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2003
  2. dL007

dL007 Member

I've been using it for some time now and have had no problems. Their first version did have a small bug but they fixed it. I will keep an eye on this forum as I am worried myself of security vulnerbilities. However SSH should be secure. Should I quote that 'should' part?

-DL007

3. Radio_Head

Radio_Head Well-Known Member

4. dL007

dL007 Member

exactly what is the difference in that program and the one mentioned above?

5. dL007

dL007 Member

woot, this will be my 6th post ;)

6. Radio_Head

Never tried WinSCP . I tried securecrt and others and I think zoc is one of the best to control a server remotely (especially when you have to execute mc , or to upload/download files via ssh). For me the best . About WinSCP , I am not safe to use an SSH/Telnet client which is freeware (only if it's open source I could consider it) .

7. dL007

dL007 Member

if this company was an open source, then many people can just take the source, modify it a little and put their company name behind it. Then start selling it online for a profit, or to even promote their own site. AND OR include additional command lines to send the owner / creator of the modifier the login of any ssh sessions..just my thought about open source.

8. Radio_Head

If the freeware SSH client is not open source the authour could have inserted malicious code to get user and password connection .. it's my thought about freeware ssh clients.

Could be the same for paid software , but I have more faith with paid software respect of a freeware .

9. dL007

dL007 Member

I truly agree on that, however many of the freeware programs that are on free websites or via IRC downloads have backdoors and other codes inside them. I only download from trusted sources like downloads.com - and or if the website is reviewed by a reputable company. I guess there can always be something said forth freeware / open source and everything.

I heard that Microsoft is trying to pass a law to allow them create an update / new OS that Microsoft controls the allowed software to be ran from your computer. I really think that is messed up because Microsoft will eventually eliminate all competition and just keep the big fish ahead in the game. BUT I AM SURE the WareZ scene will always have a hack. kind of like how their working on hacking a 2048 encryption via xbox games...I heard that group is 90% close...

If they crack that encryption, that means you won't even need a modchip inside your system. I guess you put this boot cd once, make some configurations and bam, your done. Play backups / imports and everything without even opening up the darn bugger. I think Microsoft will have a filed day over that when it is released. They had a field day over iSONEWS.com when the department of Justice took over the site. iSoNEWS was selling modchips in the US, kind of illegal I hear. I know my post is totally irrevelant to the topic but it was an example made towards another example, hehe