The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone moved to PHP-FPM?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by erick_paper, Nov 12, 2011.

1. erick_paper

erick_paper Well-Known Member

I keep hearing how much more optimized PHP-FPM is. Now that it is inside PHP core, has anyone enabled it on heavy traffic servers? What's the verdict?

If it is recommended, is there a step by step guide to enabling it? I came across this:
    Configure Apache to Use PHP-FPM

But this is not terribly clear for Cpanel servers.

Thanks!

2. NixTree

NixTree Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

In fact, cPanel doesn't support PHP-FPM yet. And you can't set it as the PHP handler, as an EA3 will crash it out. The only option yo have is to, install it on a separate location and use htacess rules to use it for websites.

But on a server without cPanel, nginx + php-fpm will be your best choice for high traffic websites.

Thank you,
    Nibin.

3. erick_paper

erick_paper Well-Known Member

I have tried nginx + php-fpm by itself. For regular sites, it's fine.

My site has very specific redirect rules. Apache rocks at the complex redirect rules. Nginx slows down considerably with its highly rudimentary version of rewrites.

Only standard Nginx install is useful, and mostly with ordinary sites that have static content and some usual PHP stuff. It's not such a clear winner when even moderately demanding modules are added (even Real IP module slowed it down recently)

So Only Nginx is not an option. At all.

I hope cpanel will support php-fpm for apache soon. As the handler. Not sure why the update cycle in the Cpanel world is so slow. Plesk/DirectAdmin are hurtling along..

#3 erick_paper, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011