The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Use Cpanel for an SMB File Server?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jazee, Nov 21, 2016.

1. jazee

jazee Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I need to setup a Linux server for a small business and all it needs to do is host one Intranet website PHP app, and provide a Samba file share (and related stuff like SSL cert for website, MySQL DB, etc.) Don't need to host email. Probably load CSF/LFD for enhanced security. It's only 12 users. No user groups.

It's going to be running in a XenServer VM. I'm a CPanel/WHM pro, and have worked with Webmin too. I'm leaning toward Webmin as it comes more bare bones than Cpanel so I can add only what I need and seems more designed as a server admin too as opposed to a hosting admin tool. Also curious about Koozali SME Server but based on the lack of info and discussion on it, seems much more relatively obscure.

I also just noticed Cpanel has User manager (I never bothered going in there, just configed email accounts) so I can still use it, ignore/disable the email functions, and might be worth the licensing fee since I'm so familiar with it. I found it more cumbersome getting everything running on Webmin (PHPMyADmin, etc) but I think that is just because I was less familiar with it.

Security is a big issue. Thoughts?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    This is probably a question for over on the webhostingtalk forums, dont you think?