The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone use Quest/Vintela authentication?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by judytrygg, Oct 14, 2008.

1. judytrygg

judytrygg Registered

Hi, my systems team want to replace our NIS authentication with Quest (formerly known as Vintela) on my cPanel server. They tell me it doesn't stop the root account from working and merely interfaces with the various UNIX daemons responsible for authentication such as PAM and NSS. But I just thought it would be good to check.
    Has anyone had experience of using Quest on a cPanel server installation?

2. Kingster

Kingster Registered

Never run it on a cPanel server before, but that doesn't mean much. We have VAS installed at my "real job", and I love it, from both a security perspective and a convenience perspective. I like how they provide Kerberos-enabled apps to support "single sign-on" when I'm authenticated to the company AD domain, drive mapping to my standard AD directories, etc. It's all very handy.

From a server perspective, depending on how your techs configure it, it could have drastic effects on how things run on your server, but my guess is that they configure NSS to make the authentication through VAS "sufficient" rather than required.

Let me know how it goes... And you should let the VAS guys know - I'm sure they'd certainly be interested in how it all goes.

3. judytrygg

judytrygg Registered

Thanks for this - we use the SSO functionality of VAS with our Blackboard Portal installation, and it works really well, although it was a real learning curve getting it set up initially.
    Think I'll ask Quest *before* we start if they know about any pitfalls. And sure, I'll post here about how it all goes.