The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone using a NON-SUPPORTED Dist.?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by datawebcorp, Jun 27, 2005.

1. datawebcorp

datawebcorp Member

Has anyone here succssfully set-up a non-supported distribution of Linux? Specifically, I have SUSE v9.3 on an AMD Opteron, but the folks at CPaenl say it isn't supported.

I'm willing to load another dist., but the SUSE server is already live. Anyone think I can hire someone to do the install?

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Even if you manage to get a clean cPanel installation onto an unsupported dist, there may be no telling what vierd issues may arise some time in the future as, unless you cautiously and carefully test absolutely every single possible feature of WHM and cPanel, it will take some time before issues will surface.

Saying that FC3, CentOS 4 and RHEL 4 were unsupported for quite a while due to selinux issues and many people used them with selinux disabled, and then cpanel supported these distros if selinux was disabled.

Therefore since SUSE 9 is supported, and if you really need to use SUSE 9.3, your best bet might be to try and find out what major changes were introduced between 9.0 and 9.3 and see if you can figure out what, if anything, may cause a problem. Its still always possible that 9.3 isn't officially listed as supported due to cPanel themselves not fully testing it and you may find it does work.

If you have the time, it would always be good to get a test box with SUSE 9.3 and a 15 day trial licence for cPanel and try things out to see what happens.

Another option may be to hunt around for information on SUSE-specific forums.

3. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

4. linux-image

linux-image Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    my suggestion.. dont go for anything that the CP dosent support !