The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone using cPanel on a Rackspace Cloud Server?

Discussion in 'CloudLinux' started by spaceman, Oct 29, 2009.

1. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

By the sounds of it, cPanel should run just fine/normally on a Rackspace Cloud Server:

Cloud Hosting & Cloud Computing FAQ from The Rackspace Cloud

It sounds like this service presents/performs exactly like a dedicated box.

Is anyone actually using the Rackspace Cloud Server with cPanel? Any lessons/warnings/cautions/notes to share?

Thx,

Ross.

2. sm9

sm9 Active Member

I'm also keen to hear if anyone has any experience of using cPanel/WHM on a Rackspace Cloud Server.

I've just signed up for an account with Rackspace and would love to get cPanel/WHM on one of these servers (which are far as I can tell, are just VPS's).

Thanks,

Stephen

3. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have not used it but I don't think you will run into any problems with running it. cPanel is handy but overall pretty basic on what it requires from the system.

4. cPanelDavidL

cPanelDavidL Member
    Staff Member

We definately didn't run into any immediate installation issues. The matter didn't move through Quality Assurance by any means but at a glance we were able to install without issue.

5. cPanelDavidL

cPanelDavidL Member
    Staff Member

Hello!

Attached is a small installation guide that we have prepared for this environment. I hope this is of help, all! :cool:

Attached Files:

6. sm9

sm9 Active Member

Thanks John, and thanks David too for the guide, excellent! :cool:

I think I might just give this a try right now! :D

Thanks,

Stephen

7. sm9

sm9 Active Member

Hi there,

Just to report back, I've had two aborted attempts at installing this due to problems with my home Internet connection. Will try again once my ISP has resolved these issues (connection dropping every 30 mins).

Following your guide though, i did have to add one additional step before entering the sh latest command.

When I first tried entering sh latest, I got this error message:

So I had to enter this command to give my Cloud Server a hostname:

The install then seemed to be working fine before my terminal session froze due to my Internet connection dropping.

Will report back when I've tried again.

Thanks,

Stephen

8. sm9

sm9 Active Member

By the way, I registered a 15 day trial license in order to test this install (which I assume will work fine when I get that far with the installation). If it works out successfully during the 15 day trial period, can I buy a cPanel VPS license directly from cPanel? I couldn't see it in the Store (unless I'm missing something?). If not, I'd welcome any recommendations (either publicly or via PM) on where to get this from.

Thanks,

Stephen

9. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    cPanel VPS licenses are available only through cPanel Partners. For information about how to become a cPanel Partner NOC and the included benefits, I recommend referring to the following page dedicated to the topic:
    Become a cPanel Partner NOC - cPanel Inc.

Here is a link to our directory for locating a cPanel Partner NOC:
    Partners - cPanel Inc.

For any additional questions related to licensing and Partner NOC information I recommend contacting sales or customer service via the following page:
    Contact - cPanel Inc.

Here is our specific page for cPanel VPS Optimized where you may find additional details and product information:
    VPS Optimized - cPanel Inc.

10. sm9

sm9 Active Member

Hi there,

Just to confirm, I managed to install cPanel on a Rackspace Cloud CentOS server fine! I used a 4GB RAM machine (the plan was to use a good server for the install in order to make it happen quicker, though not sure if this made any difference at all) and it took about 3 hours to install in total - thought it was going to fail at one point after it resarted spamassassin (hung there for several minutes) but it kept going in the end and seems to be ok!

Of course, need to get some websites on there to see how it goes, and I'm keen to see how it handles the VPS increasing/decreasing in size, but it seems promising.

By the way, in the install guide, it says that you recommend 40GB for a cPanel installation, but going to WHM > Server Status > Server Information > Current Disk Usage shows the following in use straight after installation:

So it's currently using just over 6GB in size, whilst the System Requirements page for cPanel says it needs at least 10GB in hard disk space. Besides the disk space used for websites, does this 6GB grow much with updates etc over time?

Also, 6GB seems quite a lot - are there any resources out there to trim this down by maybe disabling/removing non-essential features?

Thanks,

Stephen

11. Anveo

Anveo Registered

One thing to keep in mind is the virtual servers can only have 4 additional IP addresses, and those four can only be used on SSL hosts.

12. daor79

daor79 Registered

You can find their tutorial to install cPanel at their cloud here CentOS - cPanel/WHM 11.24 - The Rackspace Cloud -- Cloud Servers Knowledge Base, which makes me wonder if they are able to install it for you. Best thing is to contact them for more information

13. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

Says who? I have a class C on my VPS running VMware...(cloud.)

14. mikeyd

mikeyd Registered

Those of you who managed to set this up: How did you handle DNS? I am currently trying to sort that out so DNS is managed through cpanel and not rackspace's cpanel, but any tips would sure help a lot.

15. oshs

oshs Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Here's a tip: Get an external Cpanel DNS Cluster! :)

16. craigedmonds

craigedmonds Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    They WILL NOT install it for you even if you have managed services with them lete alone non managed services

I have just had the following back from them today (28/5/2011)...

Further update from them this morning...

So basically rackspace "sez no" to Cpanel.

17. victomeyezr

victomeyezr Well-Known Member

Thats funny, because we have been running cPanel on one of their servers for 6 mos. Haven't had a single issue... Well exept for having to fight with them in the beginning to get their IP for DNS resolution.. :)

18. craigedmonds

craigedmonds Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    But will they support you when the kaka hits the fan?

I have been told categorically by Rackspace that "Rackspace will not support Cpanel on Managed services".

I think they are scared of it.

19. victomeyezr

victomeyezr Well-Known Member

That also mean they don't "allow it" just they don't support it. But it is VERY interesting, they have a knowledge base article on the subject, but not support it. lol

Actually I think it is because their system "randomly" deletes servers and their image. Had this happen to me on more than one occasion. It wasn't the cPanel server but another one. Their tech support claimed this isn't possible, but the whole server magically reset back to a default Linux load, with not a thing installed on them.. :(
    I also take image backups VERY regularly, just in case. :)

20. oshs

oshs Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Yes but why should they support it if you are renting an unmanaged cloud server from them? And if you went for a managed service, firstly it will cost a bomb and a half, and secondly they'd want you to use their control panel, which would probably be a better choice anyway if you were willing to pay for their managed service!