The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Using SpamExperts.com For their Spam Filtering?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by bigj, Mar 3, 2012.

1. bigj

bigj Well-Known Member

Anyone using and have an opinion about SpamExperts.com? I stumbled across them just now and I'm curious as to what people's experience with it is compared to SpamAssasion, MailScanner or ASSP? I've used all 3 (Currently using ASSP) but I've been looking for something like SpamExperts for a while so I'm looking for feedback to be sure it's not all style and no substance.

Thanks.

--
    Jon

2. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Spamexperts are very expensive.

What exactly do you want to accomplish?

3. bigj

bigj Well-Known Member

$.50/domain for inbound scanning isn't that expensive compared to the benefits. MXLogic charges way more than this. Way more. I've been looking for an off-box solution for some time, preferably hosted like this offers.

Also looking for something that is a little easier to use with no English translation typos and quarantine reports that don't have listings within those reports that aren't releasable. Basically looking for a professional setup that can be sold as such.

I've seen no one mention anything in here about it which doesn't really surprise me but figured I'd post it looking for feedback in case any lurkers are using it.

4. TechGuy

TechGuy Well-Known Member

I've been looking for a spam solution for a long time (see http://forums.cpanel.net/f43/spam-protection-165326.html)... we're currently using ASSP Deluxe, but it's far from professional and we deal with problems every week. I'd be eager to hear what you go with and how it works out.

5. bigj

bigj Well-Known Member

I am most the way through their 21 day free trial. It really is a seamless integration in to any hosting environment. The amount spam hitting my test domain inboxes has been practically reduced to zero. No false positives either. One of the 2 test domains gets massive amounts of spam daily so it was a really good litmus test.

I would request a 21 day free trial and test a domain or two. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I plan to offer 'spam filtering as a service' instead of just rolling it in for free as it is now. Email is too important for all of my customers, as I am sure it is for the majority of customers, that the increased cost for email hosting won't be a big deal to most if not all customers.

On the note of ASSP-Deluxe. I don't hate it. In fact for what you pay it's quite possibly the most amazing service of it's type. I just don't have time to be fielding questions and issues from clients on why an email from so-and-so got filtered. Or 'I'm not getting email from whats his face'. Even though there are KB articles on how to handle this the customers don't tend to research it themselves. With a less problematic system I'm hoping to reduce those calls and emails to support and increase revenue a bit.

We'll see how it goes.

6. TechGuy

TechGuy Well-Known Member

I went ahead and signed up for a trial a week ago. It's gone pretty well. The WHM plugin is a (relatively) quick way to set up the domain, change DNS, etc with a few clicks. The problems with the plugin is that the domains are listed in a seemingly random order (probably order in which they were put on that server). Because only 15 domains are listed per page, it means clicking "next" through dozens of pages to look through domains listed in a random order to try to find the one you're looking for. Instead, I modified their script to sort them:

In file /usr/local/prospamfilter/application/controllers/ResellerController.php
    I added the line:
    assort($domains);
    As line 144 (just above $paginator = new Zend_Pagenator…)

In the same file, I change the 15 items per page limit to 500 so that they all display on one page. It takes a few seconds to load the page, but then I can just use Find on the page to add a domain quickly.

I've also noticed that Bind sometimes doesn't notice the DNS update, but using WHM to restart Bind after we add a domain using their plugin seems to fix it every time.

I have observed a very nice change in our server load since pushing all of the spam processing off on to their servers. Yet another benefit. Overall, I'm very pleased.

7. tomdchi

tomdchi Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    FYI, its 5 Euros ($6.45) per domain not fifty cents. But this is still way better than MXLogic.

8. albatroz

albatroz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We are thinking of purchasing this product
    /http://www.magicspam.com/

9. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We are using SpamExperts and are very happy with the product and the service. Customers that were unhappy with the level of spam protection with our basic RBL, SpamAssassin, etc., are THRILLED with SpamExperts filtering. It also gives customers granular control over whitelisting, which we can't offer them via cPanel (i.e. if cPanel is RBL blocking a server, customers can't normally override that, but they can with SpamExperts). Customers like the daily "Quarantine Report" (versus having to remember to looki at their Spam Box)

While it's possible to protect an entire server, we started smaller and are just offering it to individual customers at a small upcharge (.99 cents a month USD), which more than covers our costs.

End-customer documentation on the product is severely limited, so I have started to build my own KB for our customers. You can see what I've built so far at: Support Knowledge Base :: QTH.com Web Hosting & Domain Names

Support from Spam Experts has been very good so far, for the few problems and questions I have had.

If you have any questions, let me know.

- Scott

10. jimlongo

jimlongo Well-Known Member

Thanks to this thread I recently tried Spam Experts on 1 domain with 2 email addresses that get about 100 spam emails daily. Rbls like Barracuda and Spamhaus, etc., would only catch a fraction of this and Spamassassin another bit, but Spam Experts immediately caught 99% of it. I get a few "possible spam" reports each day of legitimate mail, but the training feature is quick and easy to use. Otherwise I have not seen a legitimate email flagged as spam yet in a week.

Adding a domain is easy in the SpamExperts CP, then all you have to do is change your mx record in WHM. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned a WHM plugin, I haven't seen that.

I'm sure the $5 a month will be worth it to those few clients.

11. jimlongo

jimlongo Well-Known Member

All of a sudden the price has increased to 25/month!
    That covers 10 domains.
    But it becomes quite an expense unless you can charge for it.

12. jgalt

jgalt Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Does anyone know how to route the flagged as spam mail from Spam Experts into the user's junk mail folder? We want them to be able to view their junkmail directly from their current IMAP email client. We do not want to force them to log into a website to view their junk mail.

13. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The Spam Experts Knowledgebase has an article on how to "Configure Outlook to access the IMAP quarantine" -- this should get you started:

https://my.spamexperts.com/kb/88/Configure-Outlook-to-access-the-IMAP-quarantine.html

Bottom line is that mail isn't going to be routed to your server (that defeats a big feature of Spam Experts -- keeping the spam away from your server). Instead, the customer can add the spam to a new IMAP account/folder, if they wish to view it.

I have hundreds of customers using it, and nobody has ever asked for this. Many get the daily spam quarantine email, and that is sufficient.

- Scott