The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyway to secure FTP access?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by neo4242002, Feb 23, 2006.

1. neo4242002

neo4242002 Well-Known Member

Hey.. I have a specific folder in my server with lot of sensitive data. Files are in XML format. I download these files automatically (scheduled) to my local machine (windows) through plan FTP client. How do I secure these files transferring? Is there way to secure my FTP access? :confused: :confused:

I am using latest cpane version with pureFTP enable. Can some one guide me on this please?

2. elliotcooper

elliotcooper Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

The easiest way to securly move data is to not use FTP at all. If your local computer is a windows box then you should use WinSCP :

http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

it is fully encrypted and much more secure than FTP. In fact you should use this in preference to FTP anytime you want to upload files to your server.

3. neo4242002

neo4242002 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip..

A) But how dose WinSCP encrypt without any support from pureFTP server. So do I have to change anything in pureFTP.

B) dose anyone know about SFTP or FTPS? somthing to encript FTP session with SSL?

Any thoughts guys? :confused:

4. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    any ftp client that will support ssh2/sftp will work for securing the actual transfer of files.

I use cute 6 pro myself, it will support all various forms of ftp/sftp

instead of using pure-ftpd or proftpd on the server by using ssh2/sftp you will actually be using ssh and your files will be securely encrypted.