The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AOL is brutal to work with!

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by brianc, Sep 25, 2007.

1. brianc

brianc Well-Known Member

Could someone help me out here. I am receiving AOL feedback reports. It used to be in the past that the forwarded message contained in the feedback report contained the "received:" header which I used to find out who the aol user was that reported the message from my server as spam. Most of the times these users were on a mailing list that they once subscribed to but now they rather tag the e-mail as spam then simply unsubscribe from the list. If the list is a busy discussion list, I can received dozens of reports in a day all coming from one aol user.

Lately in the past several months, the forwarded messages from AOL no longer have the "received:" header which leaves me powerless to find out who the aol user is so I can remove them from the list or in the case of a forwarder, remove the forwarder. Can someone else verify if this is happening to them when they receive AOL's feedback loops?

I have confirmed the "received:" header is intact when a message comes to/fro from my server. However messages forwarded from AOL have their headers truncated and again I am simply powerless to find out who the aol user is that is doing the spam reporting. AOL's whole system is terrible and speaking with their postmaster reps is an effort in futility. I was basically told to modify my mail system to work with their reporting system. When I asked if they had any developer information to achieve this, the person said no, it is up to me to figure this out.

Is anyone else having these problems? The main thing I want to know at this point is if anyone who is receiving AOLs feedback reports, can confirm the forwarding message (that generated the spam complaint in the first place) has all of its headers intact or not. Right now I believe AOL is truncating messages coming from my server when they forward them back to me but I need to confirm that.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I use an AOL feedback loop. I do receive a copy of the original emails that were deemed spam - but it has been a year or two since AOL distributed the pristine original. As far back as I can recall they have ommitted the email address of the AOL person.

What you have to do is look up the message ID and grep that message ID in your logs to find out who it was sent to. Of course, if it was sent to multiple CCs/BCCs who were AOL users or was on a maling list, it will be very very difficult to determine which AOL screen name complained.

Here is an example of the message headers of the original emails (as they were sent back to me in a Feedback Loop) - NOTE: 'redacted' is what AOL inserts in there in place of the true email address in order to 'protect' their customer's privacy.

xxx.yyy.zzz replaces my server hostname
    111.111.111.111 replaces my server IP
    22.22.22.22 replaces my customer's DSL IP
    - simply because I do not care to make them known

In this instance, the customer has a mailing list of their own that they created and they BCC all of the recipients and send it to themselves.

Return-Path: <redacted@customerdomain.ext>
    Received: from rly-yc03.mail.aol.com (rly-yc03.mail.aol.com [172.18.205.146]) by air-yc03.mail.aol.com (v119.9) with ESMTP id MAILINYC34-1c346f3cbe22af; Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:49:35 -0400
    Received: from xxx.yyy.zzz (xxx.yyy.zzz [111.111.111.111]) by rly-yc03.mail.aol.com (v119.9) with ESMTP id MAILRELAYINYC31-1c346f3cbe22af; Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:49:23 -0400
    Received: from [22.22.22.22] (helo=nhinkle)
    by xxx.yyy.zzz with esmtpa (Exim 4.68)
    (envelope-from <redacted@customerdomain.ext>)
    id 1IYisZ-00061V-CE; Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:49:11 -0400
    To: redacted@customerdomain.ext

If my customer only had sent to one AOL user and addressed it to billybobsdfkjsdf@AOL.COM for instance, you'd see To: redacted@AOL.COM. You'd have to grep /var/log/exim_mainlog for [in this case] 1IYisZ-00061V-CE to see who all it was sent to. If it was sent to multiple AOL people, then you'd have to make a best guess.

Mike

#2 mtindor, Sep 25, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  3. fingerprn

fingerprn Member

A more simple approach would be to be sure there's an opt out message at the bottom with a link that includes the userid of the AOL user. Assuming AOL didn't hack up your code too much, you should be able to just click on the opt out link and remove the user.

4. brianc

brianc Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike. I know to do that but the problem is I am receiving truncated headers and the message ID is not being included in the original communication that AOL is forwarding to me. Can you check to see if your recent feedback reports include the "received:" header. This is the header that includes the message ID.

5. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Brian,

Look at my example above - yes, the Received lines are there, complete with the message ID.

Also - there are two types of reports you can get - one that adopts 'Abuse Report Format - or ARF' and the other which is their standard report. Neither should make a difference though. Both should contain what you are looking for.

Typically I receive an email in my Feedback Loop mailbox from scomp@aol.net with the subject line of Email Feedback Report for IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx . This email includes two attachments:
    1. a .dat file that looks like:

Feedback-Type: abuse
    User-Agent: AOL SComp
    Version: 0.1
    Received-Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:49:35 -0400
    Source-IP: my.machine.ip
    Reported-Domain: my.machine.hostname
    Redacted-Address: redacted
    Redacted-Address: redacted@

2. an .eml file (usually) that, if you view the message source, looks like:

Return-Path: <redacted@my.customerdomain.ext>
    Received: from rly-yc03.mail.aol.com (rly-yc03.mail.aol.com [172.18.205.146]) by air-yc03.mail.aol.com (v119.9) with ESMTP id MAILINYC34-1c346f3cbe22af; Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:49:35 -0400
    Received: from my.machine.name (my.machine.name [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]) by rly-yc03.mail.aol.com (v119.9) with ESMTP id MAILRELAYINYC31-1c346f3cbe22af; Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:49:23 -0400
    Received: from [yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy] (helo=nhinkle)
    by my.machine.name with esmtpa (Exim 4.68)
    (envelope-from <redacted@my.customerdomain.ext>)
    id 1IYisZ-00061V-CE; Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:49:11 -0400
    To: redacted@AOL.COM
    Subject: Update from Kenya
    Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:50:34 -0400
    Message-ID: <01be01c7fc56$65464700$2fd2d500$@hinkle@my.customerdomain.ext>
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
    boundary="----=_NextPart_000_01BF_01C7FC34.DE34A700"
    X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook 12.0
    Thread-Index: Acf8VmH3CQL/bPB1QPu1jXyDRxbc6Q==
    Content-Language: en-us
    X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
    X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - my.machine.name
    X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - aol.com
    X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [47 12] / [47 12]
    X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - my.customerdomain.ext
    X-AOL-IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    X-AOL-SCOLL-AUTHENTICATION: listenair ; SPF_helo :
    X-AOL-SCOLL-AUTHENTICATION: listenair ; SPF_822_from :

- Mike

6. brianc

brianc Well-Known Member

Thanks again Mike. That is what I needed to know. It seems the problem is not with AOL but Outlook 2007. It seems any e-mail that is attached as an attachment has parts of its headers cut off, apparently by Outlook 2007. May I ask what e-mail client are you using?

7. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Predominantly Outlook Express, but the people whose messages end up being seen in the Feedback Loop could be from any email client. I've never specifically checked to see which ones were showing up.

Are you saying that you think that when you receive the feedback emails from AOL into your Outlook 2007, Outlook is cutting off the headers? Or are you saying that you think that your customers whose email end up coming back to you in the AOL Feedback Loop are using Outlook 2007 to send their emails to AOL customers and that is why when you receive the FL emails they don't have all the headers?

Why don't you log into webmail for your feedback loop account and look at some of the emails in that fashion - and see if you see all of the headers when you open up hte attachments in webmail?

Mike

8. brianc

brianc Well-Known Member

Hi Mike:

That is exactly what is happening. I have my feedback reports now going to another e-mail account which I have setup in Evolution on a linux box and the headers are fine. I guess I need to apologize to AOL. :eek:

Beware of Outlook 2007 if you need complete headers in an e-mail that is forwarded as an attachment.