The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AOL is now blocking forms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by easyhoster1, Dec 16, 2005.

1. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

Just so you know, aol(hell).com is now blocking forms from all internet servers.
    They are blocking the return path with apache's user nobody. Such as OScommerce
    receipts.

Here is the error in exim;

2005-12-16 09:45:08 1EnGpY-000P7v-Vz <= nobody@domain.domain.com U=nobody P=local S=1534
    2005-12-16 09:45:12 1EnGpY-000P7v-Vz SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: host mailin-03.mx.aol.com [64.12.138.57]: 421-: (RLY:CS5) http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/421rlycs5.html\n421 SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE
    2005-12-16 09:45:12 1EnGpY-000P7v-Vz SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: host mailin-03.mx.aol.com [205.188.159.57]: 421-: (RLY:CS5) http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/421rlycs5.html\n421 SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE
    2005-12-16 09:45:12 1EnGpY-000P7v-Vz SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: host mailin-03.mx.aol.com [64.12.138.120]: 421-: (RLY:CS5) http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/421rlycs5.html\n421 SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE
    2005-12-16 09:45:12 1EnGpY-000P7v-Vz SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: host mailin-03.mx.aol.com [205.188.157.217]: 421-: (RLY:CS5) http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/421rlycs5.html\n421 SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE
    2005-12-16 09:45:13 1EnGpY-000P7v-Vz SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: host mailin-01.mx.aol.com [64.12.137.249]: 421-: (RLY:CS5) http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/421rlycs5.html\n421 SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE

The link in the error says,

421 RLY:CS5

http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/421rlycs5.html

EXPLANATION:

The mail you are sending has been temporary rejected due to a combination of volume and or suspect header information.

SOLUTION:

Review your header information on email generated by web scripts for any suspect data. If you need additional information please Contact Us.

More discussion at WHT;

http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=467895

AOL responce;

> You are getting that error because you might be using a generic from
    > address like nobody@domainname.com. Please change it to some non
    > generic from email address :rolleyes:

Any solutions or actions do you think we as hosters should do?

#1 easyhoster1, Dec 16, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2005
  2. simplybe

simplybe Well-Known Member

Not had that problem on any of our server since we requested all our servers be whitelisted by aol.

Took about 4 days to get feedback loop and whitelist approved from aol. Prior to this aol was blocking mail sent from nobody@ on our servers

3. easyhoster1

We are in the loop and we take action against all TOS notifications. If you look at the reply from AOL, they are blocking forms. Non of our users mail is being block by forwarders.

The user nobody@ is being blocked as the error suggest;

"email generated by web scripts"

#3 easyhoster1, Dec 16, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2005
  4. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

We are in the CTOS reply loop as well but just started noticing the same blocking message.
    Frankly I can live with this for now. Let the script authors come up with a fix. If we have to tweak something on the server end thats fine with me but I am not going to start helping every end user with their scripts just because of AOL's latest blocking nonsense.

I think this is the only way AOL can deal with the incredible volume of garbage its getting now. Millions of servers are exploitable with bad forms and only a tiny fraction will ever put up mod_security type filtering.

5. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  6. nyjimbo

Any "gotchas" or things that will break if we go with phpsuexec ??

7. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

In most cases, no. But, I have seen many of our clients with customized Php scripts that won't work with, or let's just say don't like, Phpsuexec ;) Having said that, it depends on the Php applications and/or scripts and the way they are customized.

8. easyhoster1

Yep...OScommerce will break and is the reason phpsuexec is not installed.

9. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

What breaks in your osCommerce install when rolling out phpSuExec?

I just installed osCommerce on a phpSuExec enabled site for testing and had no issues except for the known problem with 'Use Search-Engine Safe URLs (still in development) = true'. I set this to 'False' and no more problems.

I posted a work around for this issue in another post so was aware of its exsistance.

I have tried other attempts to break the test osCommerce installation but all were found to be related to one or another of the phpSuExec Golden Rules and I could replicate and fix them at will.

I found installing phpSuExec broke several of my client's script installs on my prod. servers but was able to quickly sort them out by following the Golden Rules. My clients had no idea that I had changed the way php was compiled on my servers. Most php scripts will work without any change. CRE Loaded 'The Original osCommerce Project' actually recommends the use of phpSuExec.

:)

#9 Izzee, Dec 17, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  10. fred123123

fred123123 Well-Known Member

it's damn cheap every time some server ask to be whitelisted...

Because they are big and powerfull they think they can get the internet on their knees... I say "damn it" ... Don't ask to be whitelisted!! it's just a way to say that you accept there's stupid tricks!!

I do live with form return and mail queue full of aol mail... i didn,t lost any customers... i didn't lost cash or anything... and one thing, i didn't lost my dignity by saying "AOL i lick you toes... please forgive me, i want to be whitelisted, please, lick lick lick"...

sorry for being so rude... aol think they can do different and force every one to follow their rules...

11. nyjimbo

I wish I could agree with you but if your customers are using your servers and can't send emails to aol customers of theirs, because YOU didnt get your server white listed, you will at some point start losing customers. I hate how many times I have had to deal with AOL's bullsh-t but they still have millions of clients and we have to deal with them every day.

Right now one of my clients has been sending order confirmations for Christmas stuff he sells and nobody is getting their receipts at AOL. He just figured out it's something to do with one of our servers and wants to know when I will "fix the server problem".

12. easyhoster1

After reading your other post, it looks like permissions will need to be changed to the home directory as we are getting warnings that the /included/configure.php is writeable even though we lowered the subdirectorys and file to 644, so I am assuming /home must be changed. Also, when visiting a OSC site, their is permission errors to the session files now in /tmp.

I will need to look around as we have a few hundread OS sites and will take some time. Thanks for pointing out your other post.

13. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

Permissions on my test osCommerce install mentioned above that might help.

/home = 0711
    /user = 0711
    /public_html = 0755
    /osc = 0755
    /includes = 0755
    configure.php = 0444

There are no error messages from the above structure that replicates except configure.php when set to 0644 as it writes for the owner.

May be the permmisions in the session files are related.

Edit:
    More on session permission errors I found in an obscure contribution FAQ but may or may not be related:

#13 Izzee, Dec 18, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  14. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Radiohead donated a nice bit of code to fix the session errors. Search the forums.

15. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

Radiohead gives an error. Try Radio_Head.
    A search revealed this thread

#15 Izzee, Dec 18, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  16. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Have you guys not using phpsuexec tried nisse's suggested tweak for modifying the from field for nobody emails to see if that helps with AOL:

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=46551

I've used it successfully to resolve unrelated issues.

17. easyhoster1

You da man Jonathan;... :D
    This fixed the aol errors;

Just note, the post you refer to has a syntax error;

nobody@lsearch;/etc/localdomains "${if !eq {$header_From:}{}{$header_sender:$header_From:}fai l}" Fs

should be;

nobody@lsearch;/etc/localdomains "${if !eq {$header_From:}{}{$header_sender:$header_From:}fail}" Fs

Their is whitespace in the word fail }fai l}

Edit, looks like the forum is creating the whitespace, make sure the word fail in your exim config is correct. ..

#17 easyhoster1, Dec 19, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
  18. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I just attempted to repost the line using the "code" option to see if that left it alone and it inserted 2 blanks. :eek:

19. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Pesky forum software :p Just remember to change it before inserting into the exim configuration editor.

20. may

may Registered

Same problem

Hi,

I am facing the same problem as well. Is there any way to solve this problem without implementing phpsuxec or suexec as my administrator refuse to change any setting in the server. I am having Oscommerce with other PHP application sitting on the server as well. Can I use SMTP sending and how to go about it?

Kindly advise.

Thanks.