The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AOL rejects emails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by mickalo, Jul 8, 2004.

1. mickalo

mickalo Well-Known Member

Hello,

we've noticed in the last couple of days, that AOL is rejecting emails sent from our server. I've checked our rDNS setup and it seems to be fine, and has been for quiet sometime, this just seemed to start up recently. We are running the lastest Exim, updated over the weekend. Here is one of the communications while sending out an email:
    Code:
    Connecting to mailin-02.mx.aol.com [205.188.156.249]:25 ... connected
      SMTP<< 220-rly-yd05.mx.aol.com ESMTP mail_relay_in-yd5.8; Thu, 08 Jul 2004 12:00:07 -0400
             220-America Online (AOL) and its affiliated companies do not
             220-     authorize the use of its proprietary computers and computer
             220-     networks to accept, transmit, or distribute unsolicited bulk
             220-     e-mail sent from the internet.  Effective immediately:  AOL
             220-     may no longer accept connections from IP addresses which
             220      have no reverse-DNS (PTR record) assigned.
      SMTP>> EHLO justlightening.justlightening.net
      SMTP<< 250-rly-yd05.mx.aol.com rs-64-246-58-87.ev1.net
             250 HELP
      SMTP>> MAIL FROM:<optionpr@justlightening.justlightening.net>
      SMTP<< 250 OK
      SMTP>> RCPT TO:<GandLBartels@AOL.com>
      SMTP<< 250 OK
      SMTP>> DATA
      SMTP<< 354 START MAIL INPUT, END WITH "." ON A LINE BY ITSELF
      SMTP>> writing message and terminating "."
      SMTP<< 421-:  (SDI:T1) [url]http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/421sdit1.html[/url]
             421 SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE
    LOG: MAIN
      SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data: host mailin-02.mx.aol.com [205.188.156.249]: 421-:  (SDI:T1) [url]http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/421sdit1.html\n421[/url] SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE
      SMTP>> QUIT

Again this just started in the last day or two.... has something suddenly changed that I may not be aware of, some addition changes in the exim.conf needed, ???

We don't Use MailScanner either.

Any suggestion or help much appreciated.

Mickalo

2. knipper

knipper Well-Known Member

Chances are your IP has been blocked by AOL for users reporting your IP with the "report spam" link in AOL mail. You may need to create a feedback loop with AOL.

Follow the link in the header you posted for more information.

In my other life as a webmaster of a sporting goods company we now use a third party e-mail service for our list management. Partly because of this.

We mail 30K subscribers once a month (with about 6K AOL addresses), and I generally get about 40 - 60 monthly people from AOL reporting as spam. Some of these people have been on my list for 3 years. They automatically get removed from my list.

The new AOL "feature" for it's users is great for them... but now people can click the report as spam on any email they want, and if your IP, or DOMAIN gets reported enoughto AOL they will block you. :(

3. mickalo

mickalo Well-Known Member

thx's knipper, that's what I'm in the process of doing today, adding our IP's to their "whitelist" feedback loop request.

It seems we go through this hassle about 2 twice a year with AOL! :)

thx's again.
    Mickalo