The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aol

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nico, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

I just spent the past 8 days trying to get a server off the blacklist at AOL. Repeated phone calls, multiple ticket and case numbers all with no result and empty promises of a return phone call. Today it inexplicably starts working. I guess the threat of selling everything I own and dedicating 100% of my life to suing AOL had an impact (fat chance).

This is what kills me though.. I requested a feedback loop weeks before this happened and no on responded. During the time it was blocked I requested another and a user on the server requested one due to the misleading bounce message from AOL that lead him to their postmaster site. Now not only do I get the scomp emails from AOL about alleged spam emails the other user on the server gets them as well. This is a privacy concern and it's astounding to me that they would do that. So it's back to more phone calls I guess - gets old fast. I can't stand AOL.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Very typical of them.

Sure fire ways of getting blacklisted by AOL are:

1. That you do not have an rDNS PTR record configured by your NOC for your servers main IP address

2. Users are forwarding unscanned spam email to their AOL account

3. The obvious one - make sure that there ar no avtively exploited scripts on your server sending out spam

3. Trigger

Trigger Well-Known Member

This one is huge problem, as far as AOL are concerned YOU are the spammer and trying to get off their list can take weeks if you are very persistant (sometimes months).

Warning for all: Educate your customers about this before you get caught in the trap through no fault of your own!

4. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

This was due to ignorance on AOL user's behalf. All the compliants were from members on a legitimate opt-in mailling list for a medical equipment company. The list was basically a technical support list and bug tracking list. It seems the AOL members who were reporting it as spam are to dense to read the unsubscribe method listed at the bottom of the list email.

5. KMK Enterprises

KMK Enterprises Well-Known Member

We've had the same problem with AOL and opt-in lists - I sure do wish they'd get rid of that REPORT AS SPAM button...they've taken so much other control out of their users hands RE what email they can actually receive (i.e. no ability to whitelist senders-the AOL user doesn't even know when emails are bounced by AOL or blocked from being received by their account), why give them something like this?...you don't really need to answer that, I realize AOL does it to make their users THINK they're in control.

And yes, having users report email forwarded from their own domain to their AOL account as SPAM will get the forwarding server not the original sender a black mark. But of course, AOL provides no way for their users to view message headers, source or anything that would tell them which emails are being forwarded from their domains so....

I do get a mild chuckle out of the fact that all emails from AOL to our feedback loop get reported by our server as SPAM though.

6. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

Yes, us too...We then go in to our users mail setting and remove the forward. Then when they tell us why was the forwarder removed. We ask them why do they report their own domain as sending spam to AOL? We mention to them, they must stop reporting their own server as the spam source or to stop using AOL spam feature. The feedback loop is reporting alot less these days. ;)

7. richy

richy Well-Known Member

Looking at some of the "complaints" we've received - some AOL users use the "Report as spam" button as "Delete". Responses to their enquiries as marked as Spam.. And each Spam complaint counts against you, but there is no way to "appeal" and say "AOL customer doesn't understand what spam is..."

8. electric

electric Well-Known Member