The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache 2.0 Ever???

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by ddihosting, Aug 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddihosting

ddihosting Registered

I just searched the forums and read everything I could find on Apache 2.0. I almost put it on one of our servers when I saw "August" then I saw "2003".

Considering this should be on the top of the priority list what is the problem? It would make like easier and it is smooth.

Is there some major hangup here that cPanel isn't telling anyone?

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Yep, its all a conspiracy!!! :eek: :D

In all seriousness,

What is so important that you require apache 2 ? cPanel, has been wisely holding off on it as modules and whatnot were not up to par. For instance, from PHP's own web site: "Do not use Apache 2.0.x and PHP in a production environment neither on Unix nor on Windows. For information on why, read the following FAQ entry", >> linkage <<. Thats just the tip of the iceburg, IMHO.

There is an beta installer available to you on http://layer1.cpanel.net ( last i checked ). Why not give that a shot?

That being said, I believe I saw Nick mention in #cpanel efnet that apache 2 support in cpanel was not very far away at all.

3. ddihosting

ddihosting Registered

Quote " The following versions of PHP are known to work with the most recent version of Apache 2.0.x:

* PHP 4.3.0 or later available at /downloads.php."

Now, who in there right mind runs older than 4.3.?

Also, we run multiple servers. Apache 2.0 on our Plesk servers gives a lot more functionality and easier to use on the Admin side.

Also, I'm getting better performance out of Apache 2.0.

Along with the fact that a lot of new modules being developed are not being backward developed.

Now, I am not saying cPanel should go the way of Plesk. But I do see a definite need to get this product launched.

4. haze

haze Well-Known Member

5. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

From php's site: http://au.php.net/manual/en/faq.installation.php#faq.installation.apache2

I don't think most people want to put their customers though that risk right now. php isn't hinting that you shouldn't use apache 2, they are outright saying it. I don't think its all that wise to ignore them since they are the ones making php work. However, we will have apache 2 support in the near future for those few brave souls who don't mind a rocky road. That being said, we plan to support apache 1 (later in conjunction with apache2.0) for quite a long while down the road since its a proven and reliable technology.

6. CentaurAtlas

CentaurAtlas Registered

I saw in one of the other threads here that it is "targetted" for cPanel 12 (see http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=44088&page=3&highlight=apache+2.0).

Given that this thread regarding Apache 2.0 was started August of 2004 (yes, 2004) and the current (Dec 2005) version of cPanel is 10.8.x, it somehow doesn't seem like we'll be seeing Apache 2.0 support any time soon. Given that 5.x was out in late 2002 (iirc) and 7.0 in Q3-4 2003(?) then 12 is probably at least a year (late 2006, early 2007) away. All are just guesses of course since they could find it easy to do, or much harder, but...

The worst part is that the thread above was entitled "Apache 2.0" so I don't know if final response regarding cPanel 12 was really for Apache 2.0 or if it included Apache through 2.x (which is out now). E.g. does the cPanel 12 estimate mean **only** Apache 2.0 support or does it include 2.x series.

I guess about the only thing you can do is to go vote here: http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=2299

:)

7. electric

electric Well-Known Member

We would never "upgrade" an existing production server to apache 2 or PHP 5.

Never. It would be like shooting ourselves in both feet and then one more squarly on the forehead. Our customers simply would kill us for breaking their applications/websites.

That being said....

We would certainly consider having a apache 2 / php 5 server for NEW customers (or existing ones who wanted to move over), if the software is 100% supported by cpanel.

:)

8. merlinpa1969

merlinpa1969 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Here is the most recent excerpt from the php site listed earlier
    as you can see php's own site says that it works with apache 2.0.4

Code:
    We do not recommend using a threaded MPM in production with Apache2. Use the prefork MPM instead, or use Apache1. For information on why, read the related FAQ entry on using Apache2 with a threaded MPM
    Code:
     PHP and Apache 2.0.x compatibility notes:  The following versions of PHP are known to work with the most recent version of Apache 2.0.x:

* PHP 4.3.0 or later available at /downloads.php.
            * the latest stable development version. Get the source code http://snaps.php.net/php5-latest.tar.gz or download binaries for Windows http://snaps.php.net/win32/php5-win32-latest.zip.
            * a prerelease version downloadable from http://qa.php.net/.
            * you have always the option to obtain PHP through anonymous CVS. 

These versions of PHP are compatible to Apache 2.0.40 and later.

Apache 2.0 SAPI-support started with PHP 4.2.0. PHP 4.2.3 works with Apache 2.0.39, don't use any other version of Apache with PHP 4.2.3. However, the recommended setup is to use PHP 4.3.0 or later with the most recent version of Apache2.

All mentioned versions of PHP will work still with Apache 1.3.x. 

9. LP-Trel

LP-Trel Well-Known Member

1) Apache 2 uses more memory.

2) Apache 2 offers no features over 1.3 to justify the upgrade. The perchild MPM is the only feature that I see being of great importance and it was never finished.

3) Apache 1.3 is tried and true.

Why would you want to update? ;)

10. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I agree why upgrade

apache1.3.x is stable and time tested, I doubt seriously that very many web customers use even the advanced functions in 1.3.x nevermind the 2.x tree so why upgrade to something that may or may not be stable when we have a perfectly good software solution now that IS stable.

Always seems like everyone just has to have the latest greatest upgrades regardless if they are stable or not. Never could understand how someone expects to provide a commercial service using hardware/software that is not time tested.

I can hear it now, apache 2.x and php 5.x are stable and tested, this is true to some extent but they are NOT time tested with cpanel integeration.

If you feel you must have apache 2.x and mysql5 and php 5.x feel free to use a different panel that supports this if any are available. Configure the server yourself and manage it via command line (the way we used to do it) but either way shutup bitching at cpanel because they do not have stable support for it yet.

The cpanel control panel software is very stable considering all the functions it has and all the different platforms/OS that it works on. I for one very much appreciate cpanel and their work and have yet to not be able to provide for our customers needs using the time tested software that is included by default with cpanel.

11. zex

zex Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Nobody who want's stable server shouldn't use apache 2.
    Apache 2 will have rocky road before it will be accepted by mainstream.
    Apache 1 is simple covering all needs that somebody can have from webserver.

12. freedman

freedman Well-Known Member

that's a most obsurd statement.. of course they're "NOT time tested with cpanel".. cause cpanel wont integrate them... you can't test something that doesn't exist.
    plesk runs native apache 2.x and php5.x and mysql5 is a fairly simple addition.
    worked like a charm last I checked.

13. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    well sounds like you need to use plesk since cpanel does not have what you THINK you need

14. kickedmydog

kickedmydog Well-Known Member

Professional User Opinion

Given the changes in the way httpd.conf and virtual hosts will be handled in Apache 2+ I suspect a lot of changes to be made to existing scripts in Cpanel. With a change so large you can't expect this overnight.

I agree though there has been ample time to have this completed a long time ago. Given the amount of complaints and winning of members I would have made sure this was done just to shut the cry babies up and to stay head of competing platforms.

However after careful investigation Apache 2 will not be the miracle upgrade people make it out to be. Yes you will have a slight bit better performance and tidy vnet directory with the accounts with their own .conf file. But if you are trying to squeeze every remaining bit of resources out of your server you should be upgrading hardware anyways and moderndize your server or start charging for bandwith for exceeders.

Advanced users don't use a Cpanel type softare to manage their server anyways. They use everything current that is out with no problems. If you want that type of performance get rid of all your cpanel stuff and do it manually. WebAdmin if you must have GUI...

I was so close to changing to Plesk but I don't trust the Russians for such a critical peace of softare. It would be like contracting my call center to India and having Lou Dobbs kick my ass all around with his politcal bambo staff.

A nice PR statement from Cpanel on Apache 2 would be greatly recieved on this thread/form to stop the winning would be nice. Dates, expectations, etc...so there is some understanding what is in the mix.

Thanks,

Dawg

15. AquariusADMIN

AquariusADMIN Registered

You have fun with that mysql5, you hear me? :rolleyes:

A setup of apache 2.x, php5 (which i find is perfectly stable with cPanel ran in CGI, even in a production environment), and mysql5 makes for a entertaining development server setup, however, no host in there right mind should use this setup it in a production environment with cPanel and WHM.

I’m not saying there horrid if there ran without a control panel. I’ll admit they seem to have been OK in my book when it comes to stability, and I’m a very picky person when it comes to what versions of software we run. Any host that uses the setup motioned above in conjunction with cPanel & WHM is just dumb because its plain out not stable on many systems.

Trust the people who design cPanel & WHM. When they feel they have a stable implantation of this setup mentioned, they will start releasing bleeding edge builds, until then how about we stfu on the issue, and if your that keen on seeing it, open a feature request as complaining here doesn't do much.

(EDIT: I found a host that did offer a crazy setup like this; they also offered a 79.99% uptime guarantee with it as well… :p )

#15 AquariusADMIN, Jan 31, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  16. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

How on earth did you manage to pull that one off? We have one reseller who has registered 400 domains with us but 1500 GASP!

17. gunmuse

gunmuse Well-Known Member

Ughs' Rock Good.

Ugh Only kill bunnies.

Ugh don't need better weapons.

Why Why Why.

Memory Cacheing. This will only make your server run 3-4 times less load. who would want that.
    Better performance TRY 4 TIMES better performance

This thread is now sooooo old that Apache 2.2 is the RELEASE VERSION.

The guy who complains about ram being used has no business running a server. I want EVERY OUNCE of my ram being used. 10ms seek time versus 8 NS hmmmmm?

Just because you don't want to buy new hardware and use better software to make it perform don't go beating your rocks against the ground howling at the moon hoping like hell no one is every going to find out you have no clue how to make use of the the new technology or what it means for some people.

I want Memory cacheing, I want threading coupled with the 2.6 linux kernal that makes it all blaze away and keeps my web pages snapping up like the guys the only one on the server.

Cpanel is grossly out of date. They have wasted 2 years beating their rocks against the ground instead of working on a revamp.

This month was the first new server I bought that will NOT run cpanel and Apache 2 was THE reason why.

They haven't even offered a basic package with no frills.

#17 gunmuse, Feb 9, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  18. kickedmydog

Sweet

Don't mess with Donny,

He's probably loaded to the roof with advanced deadly firearms!

Hurry! Get Apache 2.0 in ASAP before shots are fired. lol

19. kickedmydog

This sucks

rpm -ivh mod_dav_svn-1.3.0-1.rhel4.i386.rpm
    error: Failed dependencies:
    httpd >= 2.0.52 is needed by mod_dav_svn-1.3.0-1.i386
    Suggested resolutions:
    httpd-2.0.52-19.ent.i386.rpm

//550 Accounts
    //10 servers
    //Plesk maybe a sick pill I might have to take.

20. JamieD

JamieD Well-Known Member

I really want Apache 2 support also. I think it should have been included as an option by now. Why can't there be a option of which version of apache to install? This would keep everyone happy.

I'm going to be installing SVN on a clients plesk server, I want SVN on my own server too but cant because of the apache issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.