The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache 2.0

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by Krownet, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krownet

Krownet Active Member

Hello,

I ran a search through the forum and found no help, only old topics. I'm wanting to upgrade to Apache 2.0, because 1.3 is old (which I have installed now). How do I do that with cPanel? Is there a simple upgrade button that I push, or do I have to use RPMs?

I'm kind of a server newbie, but I'm getting there :) Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

-Brian

2. aby

aby Well-Known Member

Apache 2.0 is not recommended with cpanel yet. Anyway you normally can update the apache
    from WHM or from shell using

/scripts/easyapache

3. alex2k

alex2k Active Member

I guess cpanel will release Apache 2.0.x in 2015, so keep waiting.... :D

4. gunmuse

gunmuse Well-Known Member

Yeah Cpanel guys, this is beyond the point where you need to give a progress report. I have to buy 2 new servers this year and this is THE single point that will prevent me from getting cpanel again.

We can't throw away machine speed because you didn't think ahead.

What is really concerning is you haven't even started a second branch of Cpanel specifically for Apache2. So some things don't work fine, give us a stripped down version for apache2 and php5.0

2 years since Cpanel should of been compliant

2 years of seeing a pattern that continuing to use cpanel may hold companies back because they can't keep up with technology.

It becomes a point of laughter that you keep calling Apache2 "Buggy" and not your application on that platform.

#4 gunmuse, Sep 20, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
  5. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Um :rolleyes: ... AFAIK it's not just Cpanel that have been reluctant to deploy Apache 2.0, it's industry wide. The PHP development community hasn't been too keen on it either from memory, although that could well have changed.

6. Krownet

Krownet Active Member

From my corner of the PHP development community, we do prefer Apache 2.0 :)

I'm a PHP developer, and am in constent contact with other PHP developers, and when I mentioned that I was running Apache 1.3 because of cPanel, every one of them said that was stupid. We want 2.0 :)

I hope Apache 2.0 is useable sometime in the near future, otherwise I may be rethinking my use of cPanel ... in the near future. :(

#6 Krownet, Sep 20, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
  7. Myacen

Myacen Well-Known Member

What exactly is wrong with the 1.3.3X releases?

8. Krownet

Krownet Active Member

1.3 is slower than 2.0. As well, 2.0 is the latest and when it comes to developing (ie what I'm using this server) and live testing, you want the best and the fastest.

Basically, I want 2.0 because it's the latest, and it's the only version of Apache that I've used in the past. I don't want 1.3, but I have to live with it for now, apparently.

9. romka1

romka1 Member

I need apache 2 because of i can use php5 multi threading with curl on apache2

10. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Apache whether v1.3.x or v2.0.x is not the only agent responsible to speed up the processing and delivery of data. Just because there is a newer version doesn't mean you should give up an older version that has the features that are working for many applications. There are many improvements in Apache v2.0.x, but v1.3.x has been around for a longer period of time, more stable and the best environment, so far, for the CPanel.

#10 AndyReed, Sep 23, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2005
  11. John9276

John9276 Member

So basically you want it just because it's new? How are you determining that 2.0 is faster?

12. kickedmydog

kickedmydog Well-Known Member

Has anyone upgraded to Apache 2.0?

Currently I want to bring my server up to date with 2.0 and php 5 but I want to know what problems I might run into.

Has anyone attempted to upgrade to 2.0? And if so what were the problems?

Recommendations?

I have a php program and for whatever reason it has to have php 4.3.10 w/ curl to run. Anything above this and it won't work. I wonder if it was an Apache problem...hmmmm.

13. Krownet

Krownet Active Member

To John9276:

Because that's what I'm being told by many other web developers :P

And it's not just because it's new. It's because it has many more features. I've always been working with 2.0 since it came out, and now that I'm working with 1.3, it's a step backward (wrong direction).

As for KickedMyDog:

I haven't attempted an upgrade (Apache), but I've heard it messes up cPanel.

As for running PHP5.0, PHP5.0 runs fine on Apache1.3 and works with cPanel. I recommened you install PHP5.0 on your server.

Now your PHP program. What was the next version you tried to run it with? 4.3.11, 4.4, or 5.0+ If it was 5.0, there are a few functions and variable structures that were removed in PHP5.x from the PHP4.x.x series. However, you can do 1 of 2 things:

1) Install 4.3.10 to run along side it
    b) You can configure 5.0 to allow for PHP4.x.x variable / functions

Cheers, and lets get cPanel on Apache 2.0!

#13 Krownet, Oct 18, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  14. kickedmydog

Has anyone tried Apache 2.0 + Cpanel? List of failures?

Just wondering what breaks when you go to Apache 2.0.

Is it really that bad or is it livable?

Can't see what explodes unless it's how Cpanel scripts write to the httpd.conf file or something like that. Really, what could possibly go wrong? lol I feel like I am asking a stupid question on building an important structure that could crash and kill millions of people.

Are there any trial copies of Cpanel I could test out on a test box to see what all happens?

I am not going to risk this on a live server. :eek: that would be bad.

15. Krownet

Krownet Active Member

SUEXEC won't work anymore, a few major seucrity errors is the basics of what I see on the forums. As well, some people seem to think PHP & Apache2.0 don't work together (this is a lie :P )

Umm, basically it's not worth it to upgrade, just stay at 1.3. When Apache3.0 is released, and cPanel finally gets 2.0 support, you can complain about no 3.0 support until 4.0 is release :) (seems like what is going to happen).

Cheers,

16. abdoh2010

abdoh2010 Active Member

I made a search on the forum and I found this topic

I think that it's a shame for cPanel to work against the apache 2.0
    This should be our concern as customers and users

I made a search on the forum about upgrading my old apache 1.3 to 2.0 and what I gat here?

Complaining about is apache 2.0 good enough to add it to WHM or not!!!

I think that I need to search for a new control panel right now

17. kickedmydog

Already done....

I've already looked for alternatives that use updated stable technology but Plesk and Helm are even worst. Going to one of those would be like cutting off all your fingers and toes.

I was unable to find anything to be able to make me act on switching. :(

Only if we could have a list of bugs / problems that occur with the system maybe we can minimize the effect or possibly correct the problem. Anyone with a spare server laying around to use a test box?

18. NightStorm

NightStorm Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Plesk supports 2.* (infact, I have yet to encounter a Plesk Server that makes it's customers use 1.3.*)... the problem is that they rebuild their own copies, so their "2.0.46" is actually not Apache 2.0.46, but httpd 2.0.46.
    Meanwhile, Apache is now developing 2.1.* series, so CPanel is running 'legacy' software... no new features or better handling, just bugfixes. Essentially, Apache 1.3.* has reached it's dead end.

I get the feeling that if you are referring to Plesk being worse when it comes to it's Apache build, you may be thinking of it's internal web engine, and not the one that the actual websites use.

19. kickedmydog

Reguarding Plesk

Thanks for the follow-up. When trying a demo of plesk it seemed there were a lot less features and that Fantastico was not available, which really is the pillar and value behind Cpanel.

Did I miss something with Plesk?

20. Rooter

Rooter Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It couldn't hurt, but you may want to vote for this bug so the beta support for Apache 2 in cPanel is at least updated to the latest release.

"Apache 2.0.55 Released (several security vulnerability fixes)"
    http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=3387

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.