The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache 2.0

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by jshomaker, Jul 7, 2002.

1. jshomaker

jshomaker Member

I have upgraded the PHP on my server to 4.2.1, and now need to upgrade my Apache to 2.0.39

So far, every attempt I have made to do this has failed.
    I have several customers with scripts that no longer work because of this and they are starting to get aggravated with me.
    So, to save me from certain doom, please tell me how to upgrade this ASAP.
    Thanks
    James Shomaker
    XGamer Networks,Inc.

BTW, I am running Cpanel Version/Build 4.7.0-STABLE Build 159 and WHM 4.7.0 on a RH 7.2 Linux server

2. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

You have customers that require Apache 2.0.39 ?
    Strange.......

I guess I don't understand the connection between php 4.2.1 and apache 2+. Also Apache 2.+ is barely out of the beta realm, so I would be extremely careful with attempting to get that to function properly on a cpanel box.

I have had no problems with apache 2+, there are a ton of new innovations that will make life easier. However, attempting to inject that into a cpanel build might be dangerous if not suicidal.

Since darkorb's latest build on layer1 is apache 1.3.26, that would mean they do not support apache 2+ (at least not publicly), on machines running their software.

3. jshomaker

jshomaker Member

It apparently has something to do with their includes, and only one part of the PHP coding is affected.
    However, its a major part and they are all over me to get it to at least 2.+
    Does anyone know of a way to install it into the cpanel?

4. ecoutez

ecoutez Well-Known Member

Let me guess...

Since you didn't describe the actual symptoms in much detail, but made reference to problems with includes, and having recently upgraded to PHP version 4.2.x, I'll take a stab at this. Fortunately, I'm pretty sure it's the correct stab. ;)

Edit your php.ini and ensure that you have a line like this in there. It's probably set to 'off' right now:
    register_globals = On

The problem is that PHP decided to switch the default from On in previous versions to Off starting with the 4.2 release. This would hopefully force people to write better code and use variables in a more careful or deliberate manner (at least that's how it was explained to me -- I'm a PHP-novice.)

Your users are probably just taking it upon themselves to research it themselves, and finding that there's a whole new version of Apache out there. Apache 2.x looks very cool, but it's a HUGE departure from what we have now in 1.3.x, and CPanel shouldn't be expected to work properly with it.

See the bottom of http://www.php.net/release_4_2_1.php for more details on the PHP issue. Good luck!

- Jason

5. jshomaker

jshomaker Member

No such luck. It is set to on.

whatever it is he is doing, it involves him being able to write a single line of code, and have the same effect in multiple places, without haveing to constantly repeat the code.
    Any ideas?

6. testudo

testudo Active Member

Look again in php.ini for the variable include_path. Should not be set to anything; that is:

include_path =

Restart Apache so the change takes effect.

7. portman

portman Well-Known Member

Also make sure you restart Apache after each php.ini change. In command line execution PHP reloads the ini on each run. Apache loads it only on startup.

8. jshomaker

jshomaker Member

Nope, it wasnt that either. There was no path set.

Can someone maybe tell me how to just put the PHP back to where it was?

9. testudo

testudo Active Member

If you upgraded only PHP and config'ed it yourself, there's no telling what might have gone wrong. Easiest thing to do at this point is download buildapache.sea from layer1 to bring the whole mess to a known state.

10. jshomaker

jshomaker Member

I hate sounding like such a moron, but Im not familiar with how to install a .sea file.

11. awsol

awsol cPanel Test Bitch

Do the below command

./sh buildapache.sea

12. testudo

testudo Active Member

[quote:1c4faaacb6][i:1c4faaacb6]Originally posted by awsol[/i:1c4faaacb6]

Do the below command

./sh buildapache.sea[/quote:1c4faaacb6]

And when you run it, you'll be shown a configuration menu. Just accept whatever items are already selected by default (you may want to select suexec as well if that's not checked). Then just sit back and let it run. You're re-compiling the world here, so it will take a little while.