The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache 2.2.6 + Mod_Security Problem

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by John W, Jan 10, 2008.

1. John W

John W Member

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading here for the past 4 months and I've learned quite a bit from other people's questions but this error has only been posted once not the same. I know this isn't the official support but I've got to ask here first.

Anyway, when running Apache 2.2.6 with the Cpanel install of mod_security2 I'm getting the error "(9)Bad file descriptor: apr_socket_accept:". It doesn't happen with Apache 2.0 and it's definitely involves mod_security2. I've done some searching on Google and I find some instances of this problem and some bug reports but it's supposed to be cleared up in 2.2.6 and only one person posted in this forum regarding it. The problem goes away if I empty the modsec2.conf & modsec2.user.conf then modsecurity will load without the error. I maged to get it to barely work with a few basic rules from the modsec download version. I'm csf firewall and this problem is with the stock ruleset that loaded in with EasyApache.

This happens with no extension loaded and I am running Mod_Suphp and Suexec. So, is it mostly a ruleset problem?

John

2. cooldude7273

cooldude7273 Well-Known Member

If its working fine with no rules, and it crashes with rules, then I would assume that some rule is creating the problem.

Put the rules in and restart apache from CLI and it'll output an error and most likely it'll point to a certain rule.

3. John W

John W Member

Thanks for you reply. I didn't have my user cp here set correctly here so I didn't realize you had replied until today.

Anyway, I think I may have been incorrect with my assessment that it was caused by Mod Security as I had that error come up with all the rules removed, so there is another cause. I ended up just going back to Apache 2.0 for the time, but it's my goal to get back to 2.2.6.

I hadn't run mod_suphp other than quick tests so I figured I would limit my problems and changes for the time being by making sure I have everything else wired and running as smooth as I can.

I hate for something to beat me so I will try your suggestion.

4. John W

John W Member

I decided to try 2.26 again since I'm pretty slow on the weekend and the problem appears to be solved. Maybe the updates this last week solved it. The first time I tried 2.2.6 was shortly after Xmas and the error was coming up constantly almost non stop. The last time it was rare enough that I thought I knew the problem and now I haven't seen it after 20 hours of running. My other thought is I've experienced a lot of problems with Firefox lately to the point I'm using IE7 for most of my functions now. So, I wonder if Firefox was the true cause.