The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache 2.4.9 & PHP 5.5.x Build Fails

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by cheesedude, Jun 12, 2014.

1. cheesedude

cheesedude Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I am using cPanel on a VPS running CentOS 6.4. I wanted to upgrade MySQL, Apache, and PHP to recent versions. I upgraded MySQL to 5.6 with no problems. But building Apache 2.4.9 and PHP 5.5.x failed 3 times.

The first time it failed I re-imaged the VPS and started fresh by making sure the server, system, and cPanel were all updated before attempting another build. Building Apache & PHP failed. I re-imaged the VPS again and the build failed a third time.

Since the option to build Apache 2.4.9 and PHP 5.5.x exists in cPanel, I am led to believe that it is supported. Is it supported? I can live with using the Apache 2.2 branch and PHP 5.4 if that is my only option. But I would like to use the updated Apache and PHP if possible.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for in the error message when the build fails? Is there any particular build settings I should select in the EasyApache screens?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Please review the log for the failed build in the following directory:

Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/logs/easy/apache/
    Look at the last several lines and check to see what the failure point is. You can post that output here so we can help troubleshoot the issue.

Thank you.

3. ScottTh

ScottTh Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi cheesedude,

Can you provide us with the error message output you are seeing when the EasyApache build fails? We'll be able to help narrow down the issue with that information.

Thanks!

4. cheesedude

cheesedude Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I will attempt an upgrade of MySQL and Apache and PHP later today and report back with the error message in /usr/local/cpanel/logs/easy/apache/. Hopefully we can find out what the problem is.

I would also like to mention that I had no problems compiling and upgrading within the Apache 2.2.x and PHP 5.4.x branch. Only when I attempted to upgrade to Apache 2.4.9 and PHP 5.5.x did I have problems.

Thanks. :)

5. ScottTh

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That's great to hear. I'm happy your Apache 2.2 and PHP 5.4 builds are going well. We are still providing updates throughout EasyApache in order to provide as much compatibility with PHP 5.5 as possible. We won't know until we see the error log, but there may be an incompatibility somewhere in your profile.

Looking forward to your next update!

6. cheesedude

cheesedude Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I did not have time to attempt another rebuild of Apache 2.4.9 and PHP 5.5.x. I will do it tomorrow. I did forget that I had a problem when I finished the build of MySQL 5.6. I did not get an error message but when I tried to access MySQL via terminal it gave me an error message, something related to the sock. Sock not found or something. I will attempt another build of MySQL tomorrow as well.

7. cheesedude

cheesedude Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    The build failed again. I ensured the server and system software were up to date before attempting the build (it already was up to date with nothing done). Unlike previous attempts, I did not build MySQL 5.6 first. This is not the entire build log. It starts from where I think it may be relevant.

There is one thing that may be an error message that I have included: "Failed to generate a syntactically correct Apache configuration".

Also, when the build fails the prior build is not restored resulting in an inoperable web server. I even rebooted the VPS and still no functioning web server. It looks as if I will have to re-image the VPS again.

I selected to use the prior configuration that was installed by default when I re-imaged the VPS this time (in a prior failed build attempt I used the basic and that failed as well). In the Short Options List I disabled suPHP and mod_pagespeed. I definitely do not want mod_pagespeed and suPHP is not something I want either as I am the only one using the VPS. The original incarnation of WHM/cPanel I used before I first attempt to upgrade to Apache 2.4.9 had Ruid2 enabled, the current default install does not but has suPHP which I prefer not to have. I am not sure if that is my web host's configuration or cPanel's. The build still fails even when suPHP and mod_pagespeed are enabled.

Partial build log output:

Code:
    Building global cache for cpanel...Done
    !! Resetting Apache configuration to default. !!
    Added to httpd.conf
     <IfModule prefork.c>
    Mutex default mpm-accept
    </IfModule>
    <IfModule worker.c>
    Mutex default mpm-accept
    </IfModule>
    Distilled successfully
    !! Failed to generate a syntactically correct Apache configuration (/usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf.1402682761):
    Configuration problem detected on line 1 of file /usr/local/apache/conf/includes/pre_main_global.conf:	Invalid command 'AcceptMutex', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

--- /usr/local/apache/conf/includes/pre_main_global.conf ---
    	1 ===> AcceptMutex posixsem <===
    	3Include /usr/local/apache/conf/spdy.conf
    	--- /usr/local/apache/conf/includes/pre_main_global.conf ---

!!
    !! Archiving successful build so it can be restored via --restore-archive once the httpd.conf are resolved !!
    !! 'safecopy(/usr/local/apache/etc, /usr/local/apache.ea3-buildok-confgen-failed)' did not return true !!
    !! Done Archiving successful build !!
    !! Restoring original working apache !!
    !! Executing '/scripts/initsslhttpd' !!
    !! Restarting 'httpd' ... !!
    !! Failed to restart Apache. !!
    !! Apache restart failed. Unable to load pid from pid file and no httpd process found in process list.

If apache restart reported success but it failed soon after, it may be caused by oddities with mod_ssl.

You should run /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/ssl_crt_status as part of your troubleshooting process. Pass it --help for more details.

Also be sure to examine apache's various log files.
    Apache Restart Output:

Log:
    [Fri Jun 13 03:23:43 2014] [error] [client 185.56.80.133] File does not exist: /usr/local/apache/htdocs/501.shtml
    [Fri Jun 13 09:55:29 2014] [error] [client 208.109.87.122] File does not exist: /usr/local/apache/htdocs/manager
    [Fri Jun 13 09:55:29 2014] [error] [client 208.109.87.122] File does not exist: /usr/local/apache/htdocs/manager
    [Fri Jun 13 10:37:15 2014] [error] [client 66.249.65.185] File does not exist: /usr/local/apache/htdocs/robots.txt
    [Fri Jun 13 10:39:16 2014] [error] [client 207.46.13.66] File does not exist: /usr/local/apache/htdocs/robots.txt
    [Fri Jun 13 14:13:47 2014] [error] [client 75.168.247.155] File does not exist: /usr/local/apache/htdocs/favicon.ico
    [Fri Jun 13 14:13:47 2014] [error] [client 75.168.247.155] File does not exist: /usr/local/apache/htdocs/favicon.ico
    [Fri Jun 13 14:18:08 2014] [error] [client 217.79.184.51] File does not exist: /usr/local/apache/htdocs/robots.txt
    [Fri Jun 13 15:57:35 2014] [error] [client 217.31.48.30] File does not exist: /usr/local/apache/htdocs/rom-0
    [Fri Jun 13 17:22:49 2014] [error] [client 162.210.196.130] File does not exist: /usr/local/apache/htdocs/robots.txt
    [Fri Jun 13 18:06:04 2014] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down !!
    Building global cache for cpanel...Done
    !! Executing '/scripts/initfpsuexec' !!
    !! Executing '/scripts/initsslhttpd' !!
    !! Executing '/scripts/fixmailman' !!
    !! Executing '/scripts/update_apachectl' !!
    !! Executing '/scripts/enablefileprotect' !!
    !! Registering the Mod Security addon !!
    !! WARNING: This causes cpsrvd to restart and might cause logging output to stop !!
    modsec registered
    !! 
    Here are some details that may be helpful:

!!

'/opt/pcre' is up to date but looks like it has local modifications.
            If you experience any trouble remove '/opt/pcre' so that it will be rebuilt fresh.

!!

!!

'/opt/xml2/' is up to date but looks like it has local modifications.
            If you experience any trouble remove '/opt/xml2/' so that it will be rebuilt fresh.

!!

!!

If you experience any trouble remove '/opt/pcre' so that it will be rebuilt fresh.

!!

!!

'/opt/curlssl/' is up to date but looks like it has local modifications.
            If you experience any trouble remove '/opt/curlssl/' so that it will be rebuilt fresh.

!!

!!

'/opt/curlssl/' is up to date but looks like it has local modifications.
            If you experience any trouble remove '/opt/curlssl/' so that it will be rebuilt fresh.

!!

!!

'/opt/php_with_imap_client/' is up to date but looks like it has local modifications.
            If you experience any trouble remove '/opt/php_with_imap_client/' so that it will be rebuilt fresh.

!!

!!

'/opt/mm/' is up to date but looks like it has local modifications.
            If you experience any trouble remove '/opt/mm/' so that it will be rebuilt fresh.

!!

!!

'/opt/tidy/' is up to date but looks like it has local modifications.
            If you experience any trouble remove '/opt/tidy/' so that it will be rebuilt fresh.

!!

!!

'/opt/xml2/' is up to date but looks like
     it has local modifications.
            If you experience any trouble remove '/opt/xml2/' so that it will be rebuilt fresh.

!!

!!

'/opt/xslt/' is up to date but looks like it has local modifications.
            If you experience any trouble remove '/opt/xslt/' so that it will be rebuilt fresh.

!!

!!

'/opt/xml2/' is up to date but looks like it has local modifications.

!!

!!

!!

!!
    !! Verbose logfile is at '/usr/local/cpanel/logs/easy/apache/build.1402682391' !!

Any ideas?

8. cheesedude

cheesedude Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I posted a section of my error log a few hours ago. It was not posted as it required moderator approval. I thought that was strange since all my other posts went through okay. I was hoping to get this resolved before the weekend. It does not look like that will happen. I will have to contact my hosting support and see what they have to say.

9. ScottTh

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi cheesedude,

Please feel free to open a support ticket with cPanel support as well. We're always happy to help and are experienced in troubleshooting these scenarios.

Just from looking at the log it looks like you might be running into a compatibility issue with Apache 2.4 and mod_spdy. Have you been running Apache 2.2 and mod_spdy in the past? At this time Apache 2.4 does not support mod_spdy. We are monitoring the progress of spdy to see if 2.4 support will be provided in the future. You can read more about requests to include spdy support for Apache 2.4 at our Feature Request site.

Please let me know you have any additional questions!

10. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Posts are moderated automatically based on a number of factors. We try to approve them as fast as possible, but it does not always happen immediately.

Also, just to note, the following document lists some of the critical changes in Apache 2.4:

Critical Changes In Apache 2.4

The section on the "Mutex" directive in particular should help address part the issue you have described (the error output you provided indicates an invalid "AcceptMutex" entry in your /usr/local/apache/conf/includes/pre_main_global.conf file).

Thank you.