The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache 2: Have you migrated?

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by erick_paper, May 28, 2005.

1. erick_paper

erick_paper Well-Known Member

Hi,

Just wanted to get the opinion/experience of folks who have made the plunge. Any problems when you upgraded to Apache 2?

I have the whole shebang set up and working...logrotator, suexec, php rights, etc etc...so should I simply let things be?

The admin part of me wants to heave and get the bloody update but rational part of me is torn.

Thoughts? Ideas?

.ep

2. anup123

anup123 Well-Known Member

Notice in WHM>rebuild Apache: Not recommended for production servers).

Anup

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Considering this recent entry in the changelog, I'd hold off for a while asit looks like cPanel are looking more closely at Apache2 support:
    If you switch now, expect problems. If problems are not an issue, have fun ;)

4. typhon

typhon Well-Known Member

They should really be switching the support to mainly apache 2. Definitely since the 1.x tree is extremely legacy now days and there is a 2.1.x version on its way.

*thinking cpanel needs to really start implementing 2.0.x tree as a default instead of the 1.x tree*

same with php 4.x is starting to become legacy faster now and php 5.0.x is the main branch and 5.1.x on its way :)

then we look at postgre... postgre 7.4 :eek: when 8.0.x is out hmmm..

/rant.

sorry for the rant just a viewpoint :)

5. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Another viewpoint

The old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

Seems like everytime I upgrade to a new release tree it breaks a lot of stuff then I get to spend a week listening to customers complain and fixing it

The apache 1.3 tree is old and legacy but its still maintained and is compatiable with almost everything where as the 2.x tree is not always compatiable sorta like moving from mysql 4.0 to 4.1

I am quite happy staying with what is known to work and work well until its no longer maintained and past EOL

6. typhon

typhon Well-Known Member

Yes this is kinda why I said there should be the default option of 2.x instead of using 1.x as the default but an allowable option.

Currently I am looking at just kinda ridding myself of the control panel because it does me no good really... I want to use postgres 8.x installed from source and having a hell of a time getting cpanel to see it, then im thinking about uninstalling apache 1.x from what cpanel uses and install 2.x from the source thus breaking cpanels items.

There just comes a point where it is quite innoying to deal with outdated things when you are missing out on so many technology increasements... For instance compression in 2.x is much better than 1.x and many other speed characteristics have vastly been improved..

But that is also fine...

I think there just comes a time where moving on from cpanel is a good idea, i think mine might be here.

7. MatrixPark

MatrixPark Member

8. typhon

typhon Well-Known Member

after reading that thread it makes it more clear that it is time to run away from cpanel but regardless here is my statement based on all of this...

i think this just gets into some real quarky business.....
    the simple facts:
    apache 2 is ready for primetime
    php supports apache 2 on the prefork MPM version.
    cpanel states their support as "very broken" for apache 2

with that being said it makes you just wonder... well i am back to work...