The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

apache and vxml support

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by fishfreek, Oct 9, 2004.

1. fishfreek

fishfreek Well-Known Member

How do I enable vxml support in the cpanel's apache? I have a client whom signed up with out checking for such support and now is expecting vxml pages to work. When you visit a vxml page it wants you to download them instead of display them.

2. fishfreek

no one has this enabled?

3. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

It's called a mime type. Tell the user to add the appropriate mime type using the Mime Type Manager in their cPanel.

This is a rudimentary function of webservers; if you don't have the knowledge on it, we do wish you luck with any support on more substantial issues.

4. fishfreek

Thanks for your smart ass remarks. Its posts like yours that make folks who dont think they know it all wish they could post a question and not get some 'know it all' response.

I knew it would require such an entry but wansnt aware if it required anything else in the way of accessory software to be compiled.

5. fishfreek

I would like to follow up and inform you that upon looking in the clients cpanel mime type definitions page the

mime type is already defined in the system mime type listings. So there must be something else thats missing here.

6. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

No "smart a**" remark intended; we are just stating the obvious. If you didn't have the knowledge about mime-types, it is going to be a serious uphill battle for you. Be prepared.

7. fishfreek

Well as you can see I have confirmed the mime type definition is there. It appears to be a default part of the cpanel install. There must be something else that needs to be enabled but I have yet to find it.

8. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

If the mime type is correctly configured on the server, then the problem will be with the client. All a mime-type does is allow the server to recognize the request of a certain type and instruct the client (browser) what the type is so the client loads an appropriate handler. The server doesn't do anyting with the .vxml file other than tell the client that a .vxml file is being sent back to it and it needs to make sure it uses functionlity that can handle it (as defined by the mime-type).

9. fishfreek

Well late last night I sent the client an e-mail telling him everything appeared to be setup as best I could determin with my searching and asked him if he had info on any server side apps that might be needed to interact with apache.

To my great suprise he replys to me that the problem was solved and infact never existed as they had a config problem on their end.

UGH. How I hate it when folks solve their problem and never follow up with those whom they reported the problem with.

Thanks for your help. I kept thinking there was some kind of serverside interpreter that was needed and I could never locate.