The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache checks out, and doesn't check back in.

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by WebOnce, Mar 17, 2007.

1. WebOnce

WebOnce Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

Don't often have issues with cPanel, but one server... it's about to make me scream.

It's a Dual Opteron 254, 2GB Ram, typical load of 0.5 during the busy times.

Some nights, apache just stops accepting incoming connections.

Nothing in /var/log/messages indicates an issue

/usr/local/apache/log/error_log just stops being logged to, and things look fine.

Memory usage is OK.

We just had the ram swapped out to try and stop this, so it's unlikely that it's bad ram.

I've /scripts/upcp --forced'd, I've rebuilt apache, I've disabled dl() in PHP, nothing has helped.

The only thing I can think of to do at this point is write a script to try and connect to apache on localhost and if it fails, restart apache, which isn't a fix, but nothing else is working.

Any ideas you might have, would be totally appreciated.

Thanks. :)

2. tweakservers

tweakservers Well-Known Member

try a reboot and see if /usr/local/apache/log/error_log starts to log message again. How about access_log, is anything logged there?

3. WebOnce

A /etc/init.d/httpd stop | start kicks apache back running again and logging, nothing useful in the access log.

4. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I am sorry, but you DO NOT reboot the server to get the system to restart logging.

Did you re-compile Apache? Any errors? The log files you should check are:
    /var/log/messages and /usr/local/apache/logs/*

Are you sure that your server do not come under attack that kills Apache, such as Syn attack?

5. WebOnce

Just recompiled again today to be sure, no errors in the compile, no errors in the log file.

I'm reasonably sure there was no syn attack or anything, loads stayed consistent except once apache stopped taking new incoming connections. We use zabbix to log a ton of different stuff about what's going on inside the server. From everything recorded, it simply looks like apache just up and quit working like it should. I've even kicked MaxRequestsPerChild down to 100 (and did that a while ago) to try and see if it was just a problem with child nodes not refreshing, but it looks like somehow the tcp connection on the parent process goes on vacation.