The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache children hang; can't be killed

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by dariofg2, Oct 1, 2003.

1. dariofg2

dariofg2 Well-Known Member

From time to time, all the Apache children hang and can't be killed, even with SIGKILL (9). I've tried listing the contents of /proc/XXXX, where XXXX is the PID of the frozen process (which is an Apache child, because the dir is owned by user nobody), but ls hangs. And any attempt to run ps, pstree, top, w, netstat -p, lsof, or killall results in the lockup of the command, which, of course, is a consequence of the kernel not listing /proc/XXXX. My only alternative is to do a cold reboot! Soft reboot won't work, as it relies on kill, which doesn't work on the locked-up Apache children.

That's some problem in the kernel, because it should allow you to list proc directory's content of ANY process, right? I use kernel 2.4.21, built manually, using the Red Hat .config file.

-Dario

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. mickeymouse

mickeymouse Well-Known Member

RE: Apache children hang; can

Dear dariofg2,

Well, have you tried things without all the third party modules being loaded?. Have you tried attaching gdb to one of the problem processes?. It seems that the problem of dying httpds due to glibc. This can be solved by

Upgrade to glibc-{devel-}
    Recompile apache (rpm --rebuild ...)

Regards,

3. dariofg2

dariofg2 Well-Known Member

I haven't had the problem for a while. I do have the latest glibc, though. Don't think I've tried attaching gdb to the problem process, but I can't get its PID, anyway: any attempt to list the processes results in a hang. But glibc is a good suspect... I'll look into that further if Apache ever locks up like that again. Thanks!

-Dario