The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache/Cpanel Bug?!

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by Rad, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Rad

Rad Member

Apr 16, 2003

I have noticed that when 2 or more of my resellers on the same server add an account at the same time, it will cause apache to fail. Also, apache will fail if it catches a sigusr1 signal during an account being added.

For issue #1, when multiple accounts are added at the same time, it wreaks havoc on the apache configuration file. It may in fact almost completely wipe the configuration file out, and apache of course will fail, and I have to use the backup conf file, or one I have saved.

For issue #2, the sigusr1 will cause apache to fail cause of an apache conf file error as well, however it will not wipe the entire config out, it will just keep the ports open on apache (crit 98 make_socket error, until I force apache to restart via whm), and prevent a new generation of apache servers from starting. This too only hapeens when a modification is being made to the conf file at the same time due to an account being updated by one of my resellers.

I have very busy servers, and I cannot afford to have this issue with apache and cpanel. To me it seems like cpanel is not locking the apache conf file when an account is added/modified/deleted, causing what may appear for apache to restart during a configuration file update, and wiping out the conf file.

This is the latest update of apache (1.3.31, with php 4.3.7) and it has been compiled a few times already. This issue also occured with php 4.3.3, so I am sure it is definitely a cpanel bug.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Or for that matter found a solution to it, if they have? I have looked around in the forums already, and have seen what seems to be similar issues, but the threads really lead to a dead end with no solid answers.

Any help would be appreciated here. :cool:

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Go on, have a guess
    Sounds like a cPanel isn't using a proper locking mechanism to prevent this type of race condition. Have you logged this as a bug? That's probably the only way to get it sorted out.