The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache crashing every hour - can't find the cause

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by iso99, Apr 10, 2014.

1. iso99

iso99 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I can't find the reason why Apache keeps on crashing. I have 2 http monitors and both are reporting downtimes when this happen. Fortunately it's only short, it goes back on after 3-5 minutes. On the downside, it happens at least once every hour. It's been almost two weeks since it started.

During downtime, server load is normal (~1) and lots of free memory (I have 16gb on board). No significant error messages as well on /var/log/messages. Although I see notices of Graceful Reboot notices and lines containing the Apache signature saying it's running normally again.

Other than that I have no clue.

I'm using Cloudlinux.

Apache settings:
    Code:
    ServerLimit 2000
    MaxClients 2000
    MaxRequestsPerChild 10000
    KeepAlive On
    KeepAliveTimeout 15
    MaxKeepAliveRequests 150
    I suspected RLimitMem and RLimitCPU as the source so I commented it, but the crashing still persists.

I need advice what to do next.

Thanks a lot!

2. Shavaun

Shavaun Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If the log is only showing that it is performing a graceful restart, then it might be restarting due to the logging.

Try enabling piped logging to see if it fixes it. The option is located at: WHM » Service Configuration » Apache Configuration » Piped Log Configuration

You can find our documentation on this option here: https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/ALD/Piped+Log+Configuration

3. iso99

iso99 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I suspected that too after browsing the forums. It seems it did the trick. I will monitor for 24 hours to check.