The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

apache custom virtualhost support?

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by jonahbenton, Jun 19, 2004.

1. jonahbenton

jonahbenton Registered

Hi,

I'm looking into new hosting packages for some sites; I'm looking into VPS solutions, some of which employ cpanel. I'm trying to determine whether cpanel supports customized Apache VirtualHost configuration.

Some of the sites have custom tracking needs and employ custom LogFormat configuration. I've seen explicit mention in the documentation for other control panels that they support this (they offer a text field interface to edit custom configurations within the panel without having to go to a shell), but I can't tell whether cpanel supports this. cpanel's documentation link on their site seems to be broken (http://www.cpanel.net/docs/cp/index.html yields a 404 in the left frame).

Thanks for your help,

Jonah

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

While you can easily modify a sites VirtualHost container contents once setup by cPanel in httpd.conf, I would expect that if you changed the LogFormat it would break a few things, in particular bandwith reporting/regulation and web-based statistics that come with cPanel.

For a definitive answer, try emailing billing [at] cpanel.net

3. jonahbenton

jonahbenton Registered

Thanks, Jonathan- actually, what we do is create a definition that includes the fields from the combined format in the usual order, but then we append extra fields to the end that capture custom HTTP response header data generated by the applications. Non-configurable reporting tools can usually ignore those fields.

That raises another question, if anyone knows- we've been able to configure analog to generate some useful reports based on these fields. I believe analog support is included in cpanel- can one customize the reports + log format configuration analog expects in the web logs through cpanel?

I'll try billing [at] and report back if their answers are different.

Thanks again.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Makes sense. If no-one else is able to chip in, another alternative, if you have a spare server that you can easily re-image, is to get a 14-day trial license of cPanel and have a play.