Apache downloads not completing

Curto

Sep 4, 2003
NY, USA
Hi all,

several of my customers have come to be with a single problem which appears to exist over all my servers (RHE/RH9).

When downloading large files (>10MB or so) using dialup connections, the download is finishing early... so when downloading a file which their download manager (IE, Opera, Netscape, etc) shows as 30MB it will 'finish' when it has not reached that size.

I've had no complaints from users of cable/dsl connections.

This is affecting users on dialup regardless of their geographical location..

Is there some timeout on file transfers in apache which I may be able to tweak to fix this?

haze

Dec 21, 2001
Well it could be any number of things really. What are the traceroutes looking like to your server from these customers and vice versa ? Any chance the download could be timeing out ? Do you have any sort of limits set, serverside, that might be causing an issue ? Anything suspicious in the apache error logs? or messages ? Any chance a firewall might be acting up and perhaps effecting this ?

netlook

Mar 25, 2004
Yes, there are no restrictions for downloading files by WWW. So this might be connected with server setup?

bamasbest

Jan 10, 2004
Hmm ....

You may want to play with/adjust the Timeout and KeepAliveTimeout directives in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf.

You can learn more at apache.org

netlook

Mar 25, 2004
It is a problem on busy server so the TimeOut and KeepAliveTimeOut are low.
Currently I have:

TimeOut 12
KeepAliveTimeOut 1

Any advice?

haze

Dec 21, 2001
You might as well turn keep alive off with a limit like that. I'd not use anything less than 8 for keepalive timeout. I think perhaps the timeout might be a little low as well.. but its all up to you.

netlook

Mar 25, 2004
Ok, changed to:

TimeOut: 10
KeepAliveTimeOut 8

But now from time to time I see around 40 running processes in one second... Is it normal, as I said - this is a busy server with lots of forums and dynamic sites. I consider what valuse would be OK :rolleyes: