The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

apache fails 5-10 times daily - seems to be pure-ftp problem?

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by noimad1, Jan 19, 2005.

1. noimad1

noimad1 Well-Known Member

Ok, so we have one server that apache seems to fail on at least 5-10 times a day. I look in the messages log and At the exact moment the apache fails I see this:

Jan 19 01:53:11 h3 pure-ftpd: (?@127.0.0.1) [INFO] New connection from 127.0.0.1
    Jan 19 01:53:11 h3 pure-ftpd: (?@127.0.0.1) [INFO] Logout.

Which I am pretty sure it chkservd seeing if ftp is working. Apache doesn't fail everytime it checks this, but every time apache has failed there has been one of these logs at the exact time.

So my first question is anyone else having this problem? Then my second question is there a way I can keep chkservd from checking ftp. I am using sim, which has the ability to check pure-ftp, so I can use that instead if it truely is chkservd that is causing apache to fail.

I would switch to pro-ftp but I hate it...it's slow and a pain....

Any insight would be great.

2. noimad1

Bump...

This is still happening and is becomming a serious problem...any help?

3. noimad1

nevermind...I think I found a temporary solution.

I found a file in the /etc/chkserv.d directory called proftp that logs into ftp and restarts it if is failed every time chkservd is restarted (which I think is either every 15 or 30 minutes). even though it is called proftp it still did the same for pure-ftp.

I cleared this file and chattr +i it (so cpanel can't write over it in an upgrade). We'll see if this solves the issue.

It still doesn't explain why it was randomly killing apache.

4. simone70

simone70 Member

did this solved?

5. noimad1

Well clearing the file did solve the problem with apache failing from the chservd ftp check....but then we had other things causing apache to fail, so I think our problems were deeper than just this one....