The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

apache fails approximately 3 times per day

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by atsmark, Dec 28, 2005.

1. atsmark

atsmark Member

I'm having trouble on one server with apache failing a few times per day. I get the "restarted automagically" messages from chksrvd. A few times I have caught it not responding, then chksrvd restarts it shortly afterwards.

It is not at consistent or patterned times of day.

I have updated apache to the latest version. I seem to have a lot of connections on wait status in the netstat output, but I'm not sure if that is normal or not. It is a pretty busy server.

This has been going on for a few weeks, before that it was only on rare occasions that apache would fail and get restarted.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Mark

2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Apache failing intermittently could be a result of a multitude of things. First, check the log files for any errors related to Apache: /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log and /var/log/messages You also need to make sure the syntax in httpd.conf is correct and errors free.

3. nicklas

nicklas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have the same now, after updating my addon modules
    Seems the modsecurity gives problems?

[Thu Dec 29 22:58:36 2005] [error] System: Connection reset by peer (errno: 104)
    [Thu Dec 29 22:59:08 2005] [error] mod_ssl: SSL handshake interrupted by system [Hint: Stop button pressed in browser?!] (System error follows)
    [Thu Dec 29 22:59:08 2005] [error] System: Connection reset by peer (errno: 104)
    [Thu Dec 29 22:59:09 2005] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
    [Thu Dec 29 22:59:09 2005] [notice] mod_security/1.9.1 configured

4. fikse

fikse Well-Known Member

how is the load on your system? I've seen apache quit when load get's very high, or it's taking up too much memory.... you can try prm from rfxnetworks.com to monitor it....

5. TAK

TAK Well-Known Member

We have also had an issue with apache failing on a server every few days for no reason. So far it has not caused a serious issue (as it seems to be just a blip for maybe 10-30 seconds) however it still should not be happening. We are currently looking into it and if we find anything that could be helpful to others I'll be sure to post it here.

#5 TAK, Dec 30, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2005