Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache fails to start after reboot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeffro_Home, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Jeffro_Home

Jeffro_Home Member

Ticket #:8684231

This was the first ticket I've ever submitted to cpanel.

My yum update was failing due to an issue with some python packages and mod_ssl was supposedly missing.

So the tech made some changes and yum update did indeed finish without any errors. The next time I logged into WHM, in the top right corner a big yellow button said the "server needs to be rebooted for the new kernel to take effect" (that may not be word for word). So I clicked on the yellow button and confirmed to reboot the server.

I went to sleep to wake up to 80 emails from my server stating httpd is down. I shelled in, it wouldn't restart. I tried restarting apache via WHM, it still wouldn't start. I rebooted the server again, same thing happen via shell and WHM:

The above references /etc/apache2/ ...

This path doesn't exist.

I replied to the cpanel ticket about 7 hours ago stating my webserver/apache was down and woke up to no response. Now my ticket shows it's 80 something in the queue again?

Note, prior to seeing help for the kernel update, the server was fully functional.

Can you please expedite this?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @Jeffro_Home,

I've updated the ticket status to reflect it's urgency. You should receive a response from one of our Technical Analysts shortly. As far as the error message, it looks similar to what was reported on the following post:

mod_security completely messed up beyond repair

In that case, the temporary workaround was to create the missing file and restart Apache:

Code:
    mkdir /etc/apache2/conf.d/modsec_vendor_configs/configserver
    touch /etc/apache2/conf.d/modsec_vendor_configs/configserver/00_configserver.conf
    /scripts/restartsrv_httpd
    Thank you.

3. Jeffro_Home

Jeffro_Home Member

Thanks. That did seem to get httpd running, but the server is barely responsive. There's almost nothing on this server and it's much slower than my other (nearly identical) server that has many accounts hosted on it.

4. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

Try performing a stress test on the server to see its responsiveness. This will be helpful for further investigation whether the hardware is okay or not..

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The following thread is a good place to start if you'd like to troubleshoot CPU/Memory issues on the system:

Troubleshooting high server loads on Linux servers

Thank you.