The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache failure

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by tloomos, Feb 7, 2003.

1. tloomos

tloomos Member

Nov 20, 2002
    I've had my server up for about 3 months now, and twice in the past two weeks, Apache has failed. The first time, it was while I was FTPing some new content, so I knew it was down right away when I tried to view the new content. However, I also got an email indicating that the Apache process had failed.

A few minutes ago, I went to one of my sites and it wasn't there - turns out none of them were, so I restarted Apache (via WHM) and everything is working fine now. Strange thing is I didn't get a notification email. Perhaps it JUST went down and I happened to notice it right away?

My question is - how do I research what's going on and find out what is causing the service to stop? I looked at /var/log/servername, but I didn't really see anything especially strange in there.

Should I be looking somewhere else?

Also, I noticed that some of the files in /var/log seem quite large (6 files between 13 and 70 MB each) - Is there something I should be doing to archive and/or purge these files?

2. Annette

Annette Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Check /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log. Archiving the items in /var/log is up to you; we generally just delete them once they reach a certain size, especially the exim logs.