The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache Handlers Question

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by abray, Jul 1, 2005.

1. abray

abray Registered

HELP! Apache Handlers

Any on here experienced with Apache Handlers for PHP? I have a major problem with my site and my server administrator cannot handle the job. My error log says this....

[2005-07-01 20:19:16]: error: file is writable by others: (/home/fsbo/public_html/index.php)

What does this mean? Do I need to change the permissions?

#1 abray, Jul 1, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2005
  2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Is this your own coded Php script, or one of the Php applications included in the WHM/CPanel?

You can change the permission and see what's gonna happen. The error itslef is not very clear whether it is permission or some other problem(s).

3. abray

abray Registered

I am going crazy over here. I have a site on a server and the people can't help me. I have taught myself all I do know and can't figure this out. I haven't a clue about this, but I did change one permission setting and the site started coming back up, but then I changed another permission and it's back down again.

I don't know. It's a turnkey website I bought and it's on this guys server, however, he doesn't even know what the permissions are for the PHP script that's running. I am in tears over here. I got laid off and take care of my Mom and thought buying this would help supplement my unemployment and now this crap isn't working.

Now he's telling me to post a message on ScriptLance and pay someone to fix it for me. With what, he get's my payment each month.

#3 abray, Jul 1, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2005
  4. azimpact

azimpact Member

What permission level did you set it to?

Typically speaking, an index page in the public folder is set to chmod 644.

If your getting that error, it is telling you that you have the file set to the wrong permission level and it can be written to by anybody.

You have Owner/Group/Public permissions for each file.

644 will let the Owner(being you) Read/Write the file, Group and Public can Read it.

Pretty basic stuff.