The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache Hanging / Not Serving Pages

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by Eric Martello, May 10, 2005.

1. Eric Martello

Eric Martello Member

Dec 30, 2003
    The problem I am having is that Apache seems to stop serving pages after 1-2 hours of operation. Restarting it "fixes" the problem temporarily, but then it stops serving once more. This started happening last week and I have not been able to find a permanent solution. Nothing changed in the config, and it has been working fine for over a year now...until recently, that is.

My server is running CentOS with the 2.4.21-27.0.4.EL kernel. PHP version is 4.3.10 and I am also running eaccelerator. Also running WHM 10.1.0 and cPanel 10.2.0-R82.

From my apache error log:

PHP Warning: Unknown(): A session is active. You cannot change the session module's ini settings at this time. in Unknown on line 0

I've been getting this a lot. On some sites using file-based session management for PHP, I get the "unable to initialize storage module" PHP error. This seems to be related. Apparently this is an open bug within PHP...because nobody has posted a clear solution. There is plenty of disk space available and the memory in my server is plentiful. My main concern is making sure apache serves pages, and secondary is the session issue.

If anyone can help me fix this, I'd much appreciate it. Thanks!

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Go on, have a guess
    Just a thought - do you have the correct permissions on /tmp, they should be 1777.