The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache/High Load Averages

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by Voltar, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Voltar

Voltar Well-Known Member

So I have a problem with Apache. One of the sites that I run/host has a moderately large vBulletin board, and Apache just seems to eat up the CPU. Load averages have shot up between 20-30 and I've seen it as high as 80. Apache and MySQL are optimized already, I'm using suPHP for security because there are other sites on this box.

The funny thing about this is that it only started happening about a week ago. After checking for rootkits and all that garbage, I reinstalled the OS just to be on the safe side. Everything comes back clean still. I also got fed up and hired Platinum Server Management for a month, to see if they could find a solution (and I've been interested in reselling their services, but that's not relevant). So far the only thing they can come up with is disable suPHP, which isn't an option. I do realize that suPHP is ~20-25 times slower than mod_php, but what totally baffles me is that it worked beforehand and started going all crazy like this. I did try running the site using an dso configuration, the load did drop, but nothing to be proud of.

This site, and the server overall hasn't had any increase in load, I've held off putting new accounts on it until I get this fixed.

In the meantime, I have said forums running on lighttpd, which lowered the load. (Also writing a tutorial on having lighty work with cPanel)

Any help or ideas? Thanks in advance,

-David

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Check for addons that site is running. Like chatrooms as example. There are many ways to optimize a VB forum they may not have tried, but should.

3. Voltar

Voltar Well-Known Member

I know the site is currently running Flashchat, with the vB integration. It has been there a while though, and the load just recently started going haywire. The only other major addons seem to be the arcade and a email help system. Nothing has been recently installed. Like I said, it was all working great before.

The server is a quad core xeon 5405, 8 GB RAM, CentOS 5.2, Apache 2.2, PHP 5.2.6, since I didn't mention it before.

I've also tried recompiling Apache with different MPMs, only made it worse. (I know some MPMs can cause threadsafe problems and whatnot, purely troubleshooting). Also have recompiled PHP numerous times, and even without using EasyApache.

It seems to work fine under Lighttpd/php-fastcgi (daemons/php running as user, locked down and secured). But switch it back to being served by Apache and well, load average => 20 and me != happy.

I also posted this over at WHT: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=721537

Someone else recommended that I installer eAccelerator/APC or a caching program for PHP, but I'm still looking into the ramifications of doing that.

Thank you for your reply Infopro. :)

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Just because it was working fine for a long while doesn't mean there are not problems. You might take the easy route here (a bit late by what you've stated you tried already) and ask them to disable flashchat and any other sort of addon that has user interaction that might use system resources for a few days and watch to see how it goes.

I've worked with many VB forums and can tell you that there is a lot of crap out there that people install that will affect server load and make the site less secure.

That's where I would start if it was me. Disable most everything addon-wise on that forum. Won't hurt to try. ;)