The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

apache issues I believe...

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by Zachery, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Zachery

Zachery Member

Today around 5 I got a call from one of my clients, it seemd the sites were slow. So I loged into ssh and viewed top, and oddly enough there was no abnormal load, no IO wait issues either, (loads were all under 1). So I restarted apache and all seemed to be good for about 20 seconds. I could click around all the pages loaded fine. then it'd slow down real bad again.

Most of the scripts on the server are php and mysql based and have rendendering time checks in them. 99% of them are rendering in a good time (under .5 seconds). Yet the pages are taking 30 seconds+ to load.

Anyone had any similiar issues?

2. aby

aby Well-Known Member

Can you please check the apache status and see if any of the domains is abused. May be there are too many connections to the apache. It can be a dos attack though not sure. Also tweaking the apache can help. But you should have a look at it to make sure what the issue is.

3. Zachery

Zachery Member

Thanks for the comment, after spending another two hours or so I noticed that there was one thing that was showing up in my error_log, the one of the clients sites had recently undergone a code change and he neglected to tell me about it. It should have denied all spiders with a specific string from accessing the content. But It seems some how that change was also sending apache into a constant wait period, which it wouldn't recover from.

After disabling the site in WHM and rebooting, apache returned to normal. So I would assume it was some sort of attack, regardless if it was planned or by acident of someones harvest spider :)