Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Apache mod_userdir not working

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by maxshafiq, Apr 20, 2014.

1. maxshafiq

maxshafiq Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi

I have just moved over from Plesk to cPanel so I may be a little green here so any help greatly appreciated.

I have gone into WHM under Security Center-->Apache mod_userdir Tweak and Enabled mod_userdir Protection.
    Then I have excluded 2 domains that I wanted to see using the shared IP address.

2 things I am confused about:

1. What I have noticed is that when I do check the Enable mod_userdir Protection and hit the save button, then go back into this page it is unchecked? Is this normal? Should it not remain checked? How can I verify if this is enabled?

2. Assuming the above is correct, when I try and exclude a domain or 2, so that they show up with IP/~somusername it does not work.

This is a brand new setup and when I had a single domain created, it worked. However when I added a second domain and tried to test it again, neither are working.

My basic workflow is:

1. Download Wordpress and unzip
    2. Create database
    3. Install Wordpress using the IP/~username
    4. Import Wordpress from old server using clone

Unfortunately I am falling on step #3 :-(

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You will also need to exclude protection for "DefaultHost (nobody)" under "Apache mod_userdir Tweak" if you want to temporarily access websites over the IP address itself.

Please keep in mind that the best way to view a website before it's DNS is updated is to modify the hosts file on your personal computer. The hosts file is documented here:

hosts (file) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This allows you to keep mod_userdir protection enabled, and view the website through the domain name itself.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...