Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Apache ( nobody ) Command and server load > 25

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by ezztro, Dec 22, 2004.

1. ezztro

ezztro Well-Known Member

Hi,

since last night, a have 50 - 100 nobody Pids running with this command:

sh - c chmod 0777 /home/username/public_html/

what is apache 24/7 doing with chmod 0777 ?

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

That looks suspicious to me mate, i'd have a qualified system admin take a look at the box ASAP and make sure its not compromised. Hope you have backups.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ezztro

ezztro Well-Known Member

Hm,

i think its OSCommerce with Image Cache.

The Command sh -c chmod 0777 is using the OSC Path of this cPanel account...

4. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Why would it need to modify the public_html folder to 777 ? I don't understand, i've never seen that sort of functionality in OSC unless its new ?

The reason i said its sus is because its chmoding the public_html folder from what you said. Which just sort of rings out as a possible mass defacement program of some kind.. We don't the access to your server so, i can't say for sure.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Are you saying that its origonating from the oscommerce install ? If so, is the oscommerce out of date or have any known vulnerabilites? It could be someone trying to bugger with your system via a vuln.