The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache Only Server Setup

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by JonathanLIVE, Jul 20, 2007.

1. JonathanLIVE

JonathanLIVE Well-Known Member

I have searched the forums but have not found anybody talking about this.

I am interested in setting up an Apache only server setup. Essentially I don't want any of the other services running on the server that Cpanel by default always includes. I just want to make it dedicated to serving up web pages. I don't need Mysql, POP3, SMTP, DNS, IMAP.. etc etc.. the only functions I really need are:

A) Cpanel account creation
    B) FTP Access
    C) Apache serving up webpages along with PHP5 etc etc

DNS will be done via the cluster option with other servers that will be remotely.. the Apache only server itself won't have DNS, other than what CPanel creates to pass on to the cluster servers I suppose.

I know in the Service Manager you can disable other services and such.. but I wanted to know if anybody out there has tried something like this and has any recommendations beyond just the click click done method which often leaves those services still running in the background taking up resources. I have never setup CPanel in this manner and would prefer to make sure it is setup optimally and giving me the extra ram/processor power I want out of it while making Cpanel as skinny as possible for overhead.

Thanks in advance to anybody who has some feedback on this.

Jonathan

2. jandafields

jandafields Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Easy! Just turn the services off that you don't want running.

WHM -> SERVICE CONFIGURATION -> SERVICE MANAGER

3. JonathanLIVE

JonathanLIVE Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in my first post, I am aware of this option.. however I am looking for a more 'advanced' answer I guess.. I know I can turn off those services... but as I understand it.. Cpanel still requires certain features to still be running in the background... I am not sure about which ones specifically... but the goal here is to get Cpanel as skinny as possible and only have Apache running with php5 and selected modules on a CentOS5 system. Kinda pointless just to turn off a green icon but still have it eating up processes/ram/disk access in the backend... if that is what happens.

if indeed the answer is simply turn off the services in service manager than thats great.. but I am hoping someone who has looked to setup something similar to this might be able to share what they had to do on the backend if at all to get max performance.

Thanks again

4. jandafields

jandafields Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Again, I am pretty sure if you disable them there, they will be disabled!