The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache, PHP, and MySQL

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by ntsinc, Apr 3, 2012.

1. ntsinc

ntsinc Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I know that EasyApache is already around to make upgrading versions of Apache, and PHP "idiot proof", but I am looking to upgrade Apache, PHP, and MySQL to the current GA versions.

EasyApache does not have the current GA versions of Apache, and PHP currently available.

I am quite familiar with the linux shell, and building applications from scratch. My question is how to go about this without "breaking" cPanel.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    For MySQL, you could simply remove the existing MySQL rpms and install whatever MySQL rpms you prefer. After you do, you'd want to set MySQL to never update in WHM > Update Preferences area.

For PHP, you can manually compile it. An example of manually compiling PHP can be found in this post:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/using-mpm-itk-custom-opt-module-225042.html#post925232

In that one, --prefix=/usr/local is the path used for the PHP configuration.

Finally, in regards to Apache, I've never manually compiled it on a cPanel machine. As such, I cannot recommend how I would do it.

3. ntsinc

ntsinc Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, in /usr/local/apache/build there is the config.nice file

I started there as that had the last config options used by EA. There were some issues, but they were simple to fix such as having to build APR and APR-util

I got it to successfully compile, the only issues I ran into were once I went to start the daemon.

Mod Bandwidth is not included with Apache, and so it seems I would have to manually compile that module. (No big deal)
    Mod BW Limited is a custom cPanel made Apache Module, so building it is out of the question. (Doh!)
    Mod SuPHP is also not included with Apache, and must be manually compiled.

Those three things are all it seems made launch fail. I have not seen any Apache Conf changes made between versions.

So, my question is how would I go about making a package that EasyApache can use? I know that it re-downloads the tarballs everytime that it executes. :S

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could copy the existing mod_bwlimited.so and see if that works. Normally, it would be copied from /usr/local/apache/modules location. Since that module was previously compiled under your server environment settings, it might well work. The only concern would be whether it might error due to the newer Apache version. If it doesn't work, you could then simply comment out the module.

5. ntsinc

ntsinc Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Mod BW Limited is one that I thought was required to ensure bandwidth tracking was done properly.

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's required for cPanel to track bandwidth, but it's up to you how to handle it. If it doesn't work with the version you've compiled, then it doesn't work. That is how it goes when using customizations.

7. ntsinc

ntsinc Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When EasyApache builds Apache, I would imagine that it downloads a tarball with the module so that it can be compiled for said version. Is this something that can be obtained?

What about making an Apache tarball that EasyApache can use?

8. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could try making changes to the existing Apache source modules using custom opt modules:

EasyApache Custom Modules

You could also add flags and other changes described in these documents:

The Apache Web Server and cPanel & WHM

There are also hook scripts for pre and post apache:

EasyApache Hook Scripts

Honestly, you really should use EasyApache and then tie into it for whatever changes you want to make. cPanel isn't intended for going entirely outside the EasyApache system and manually making these changes. With MySQL, it is a simple matter of switching the rpms. With Apache and PHP, that isn't so cut and dried. Now, when we switch over to using rpms for Apache and PHP (in possibly cPanel 11.34), then you'd have an easier time changing the rpms and doing what you are planning.

9. ntsinc

ntsinc Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I was not aware that a change in how EasyApache operated was in the works.

I have some servers running the EDGE version, and thus far EasyApache seems the same.

10. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  11. ntsinc

ntsinc Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ah. My mistake.