The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

apache + php suexec in cpanel

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by gimmereeson, Sep 18, 2007.

1. gimmereeson

gimmereeson Registered

Hello ,

I am pretty confused with a few things . I need to understand them pretty fast and I will ve very grateful if someone could help me with this topic .
    I want to know how cpanel and it's scripst achieve the suexec thing running on the servers with the esyapache script and how this can be acheived in non-cpanel servers .
    I also need to know what the difference between apache suexec and phpsuexec is and how cpanel achieves this . I am not that geeky a guy to understand the cpanel scripts , but it would be very helpful to me if somebody could clear this fog off my head .

Thanks .

2. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm not exactly sure in regards to this. I believe phpsuexec requires modifications to the Apache source in order for it work. I think phpsuexec is pretty much cPanel specific. Although I suppose you might find the patch they apply to their builds of Apache or adjust the code accordingly, without the need for cPanel. But I don't have any idea what changes are made.

You probably want to look into suPHP which I believe cPanel is phasing in as they phase out phpsuexec. suPHP works just as a regular Apache DSO module and does not require cPanel at all in order for it work.

As for suexec, which deals with CGI scripts instead of PHP scripts, I believe this is a regular part of Apache, although I may be wrong in regards to this.